Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa boogie bass 400+ setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kevbass, Oct 10, 2005.

1. kevbass

kevbass

Oct 10, 2005
    Hi anyone, I need help on this one! I am using a Mesa 400+ with 2 x 1x15 cabs and a Fender custom shop 55 bass, but the sound seems muddy all the time, or either booms, I know the eq on the amp is hard to work out. any help on the amp settings? HELP!

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

That's a common thing with 400+'s.

First you want to start with your amp's EQ set flat. Turn off the graphic EQ altogether to start.

Next, flat on this amp isn't Bass/Mid/Treble set at 5's.

Flat looks like this:

Bass= 0
    Mid = 10
    Treble = 0

In other words, You can only boost bass and treble, and you can only cut or attenuate the mids. Thus, the 400+ is known as a scooped mid bass amp. This is the old Fender Bassman tone stack.

If you like a more traditional sound, you'll probably want to leave the pull-shifts on the bass & treble knobs in. If you want a more modern punchy sound, then pull those out. You're shifting the band that the knobs effect...the bass up to the low mids and the treble down a bit, closer to the high mids.

Remember that you CAN get different tones by using the different channels, or using them both together.

Once you have a sound you like, then use the graphic to tweak the tone a bit or to adjust it to the room/stage you're playing.

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Mine is usually set like this:

Bass 4 pulled out
    Mid 6
    Treble 6 pulled out

EQ on....40hz slider cut about half way. 100hz flat, a very slight boost in the mids and treble sliders.

Channel 2, volume at around 5, master used to control overall volume.

4. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    You can run both togehter with no ill consequences?

On my Bass 400, I keep the settings on my active bass nearly flat. I find I get way too much boom if I push the EQ's on my bass like I usually do.

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Yep..I use both channels with a Y cord.

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    You are correct, sir.

I tend to run my bass 'in' at about 6 and the treble 'in' at 0, mids right around 6 too. Lately I've been only running channel 2 with the pre around 4 and the Master around 3. Sometimes I use a Y cord and split the signal into both channels.

Sometimes I push the lows up to 7, but I find I have to push my 1212 a bit harder than normal to get the low end kickin'.

Keep in mind though, that I play a reggae gig, so my sound is tailored to that sound.

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Yep...one of the nice things about the 400+ is you can tailor it to your sound. I probaby should have mentioned that my settings are for my classic rock gig, with passive basses (Ric and Lakland)

8. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I used my ABY to Y into both channels/preamps. What a revelation=) The sound turns out super thick and substantially louder without breakup.

9. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i used a fender p-bass

graphic eq is set pretty flat during pracitce. i boost the lows during gigs.

mid knob is 10
    bass knob is 5(pull when we play live)
    treble knob is 7

i go into channel 2 and i forget where the volumes are, but i have the volume on channel two pulled out.

but, i also use a sans amp for od.