1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa boogie bass 400+ setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kevbass, Oct 10, 2005.

1. kevbass

kevbass

Oct 10, 2005
    Hi anyone, I need help on this one! I am using a Mesa 400+ with 2 x 1x15 cabs and a Fender custom shop 55 bass, but the sound seems muddy all the time, or either booms, I know the eq on the amp is hard to work out. any help on the amp settings? HELP!

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

That's a common thing with 400+'s.

First you want to start with your amp's EQ set flat. Turn off the graphic EQ altogether to start.

Next, flat on this amp isn't Bass/Mid/Treble set at 5's.

Flat looks like this:

Bass= 0
    Mid = 10
    Treble = 0

In other words, You can only boost bass and treble, and you can only cut or attenuate the mids. Thus, the 400+ is known as a scooped mid bass amp. This is the old Fender Bassman tone stack.

If you like a more traditional sound, you'll probably want to leave the pull-shifts on the bass & treble knobs in. If you want a more modern punchy sound, then pull those out. You're shifting the band that the knobs effect...the bass up to the low mids and the treble down a bit, closer to the high mids.

Remember that you CAN get different tones by using the different channels, or using them both together.

Once you have a sound you like, then use the graphic to tweak the tone a bit or to adjust it to the room/stage you're playing.

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Mine is usually set like this:

Bass 4 pulled out
    Mid 6
    Treble 6 pulled out

EQ on....40hz slider cut about half way. 100hz flat, a very slight boost in the mids and treble sliders.

Channel 2, volume at around 5, master used to control overall volume.

4. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    You can run both togehter with no ill consequences?

On my Bass 400, I keep the settings on my active bass nearly flat. I find I get way too much boom if I push the EQ's on my bass like I usually do.

5. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Yep..I use both channels with a Y cord.

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    You are correct, sir.

I tend to run my bass 'in' at about 6 and the treble 'in' at 0, mids right around 6 too. Lately I've been only running channel 2 with the pre around 4 and the Master around 3. Sometimes I use a Y cord and split the signal into both channels.

Sometimes I push the lows up to 7, but I find I have to push my 1212 a bit harder than normal to get the low end kickin'.

Keep in mind though, that I play a reggae gig, so my sound is tailored to that sound.

7. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Yep...one of the nice things about the 400+ is you can tailor it to your sound. I probaby should have mentioned that my settings are for my classic rock gig, with passive basses (Ric and Lakland)

8. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I used my ABY to Y into both channels/preamps. What a revelation=) The sound turns out super thick and substantially louder without breakup.

9. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i used a fender p-bass

graphic eq is set pretty flat during pracitce. i boost the lows during gigs.

mid knob is 10
    bass knob is 5(pull when we play live)
    treble knob is 7

i go into channel 2 and i forget where the volumes are, but i have the volume on channel two pulled out.

but, i also use a sans amp for od.