Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa/Boogie Bass 400+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Michael Yetton, May 12, 2002.

1. Michael Yetton

Michael Yetton

Dec 11, 2000
    Essex, UK
    I wanna know. How many people own a Bass 400+ and what do you think of it? I'm interested in getting one. Do you have any hints or facts that are important to know?

Thanks
    -Mike

PS: If you have any pictures of your Mesa?boogie amp please post it! Thanks!

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I own two and, pound for pound, dollar for dollar, it's the best tube bass amp on the market today. The only thing that beats 'em is an early seventies SVT.

The earliest 400+'s had one less EQ fader than the current models.

I love the 400+. It's sorta heavy, though, if you're used to ss amps.

3. lorbas

lorbas Supporting Member

May 11, 2002
    Kamen, Germany
    Hi !

I'm playing that Boogie for years now, and it's the best amp i can imagine. Not as strong and loud as an SVT (who needs that anyway), but much faster.
    IMO not comparable to an Ampeg in terms of sound, it's all different, more possibilities. An Ampeg sounds like an Ampeg, somehow middi and suitable for Heavy/Rock. The Boogie has got less mids and sounds more transparent. If you like the sound of SVTs than don't buy a Boogie.
    There are two things on my Boogie that i don't like:
    1. Changing tubes becomes awefully expensive, because it has got 12 (!)
    2. The DI-output is too high-level for many mixers, because the output is a part of the output-transformer of the amp. It sounds great, but it is always post-eq and is too loud for 60% of all situations i've been in. A pad-switch would do a great job on the amp.