Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa Boogie Bass Cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by orskard, Apr 10, 2005.

1. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    Hey, im looking to find a cabinet to add onto my avatar 2x10, and i was looking at the mesa 15". What is the diffence from them like the powerhouse, and deisle, etc? What do you think about the other cabs they sell such as the 2x10 and 4x10?

How does the 15" compare to other 15" like ampeg or bag end?

A local player here has a 2x15 mesa cab and i love the thing, but its too big for me....i think...

2. konfishily

konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    i have a similar, yet an opposite problem. I have a 115 powerhouse and im lookin for a 210. Im not sure if i can compare it to the diesels, however, they are lighter than the roadready. The rr's are already built into a case, but i dont see the need for that much protection. I gig, but dont see the need for road case, plus you feel the 20 lb difference.

I dont think the diesels can handle as much wattage as the powerhouse speakers. I.e. the 210 diesel handles 300 where the 210 powerhouse handles 600. I may be wrong.

3. It depends on the age of the cabinets...the Diesel series 1x15 (if loaded with EV speakers) kicked ass and was a tremendous stand-alone cabinet. The Powerhouse series went to a 'Mesa-designed' speaker, changed the covering from leather to a sort of vinyl, changed the grill from black squares to gray/silver ovals, etc...

The Powerhouse 1x15 matches well with a 2x10, but doesn't do so well as a standalone...but that's my opinion.

4. i got a mesa 2 x 10 and a mesa 1 x 15 to go with my 400+. ive always liked 10's better, but the mesa 15 is pretty nice. im not exactly sure on the wattage. i would bet that it can can at least 500 watts, probably more. lower end peavey 15's handle 350w. the 10's have huge magnets, bigger than the magnets on the 15, . i think those handle 500 watts each. i really like the sound of the 10's

5. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Man, I'd JUMP all over that Diesel 2x15!!! Especially if it's EV loaded. Best cab, granted a little big, nowhere near unmanageable though, I've ever owned.

I had a Powerhouse 2x10 + 1x15 setup that I really liked, actually. Not exactly sure nowadays WHY I sold it, but anyhow... I never used my 15" alone. Always with a 2x10. I'd use my 2x10 alone and it was fine, however.

The older stuff is yeah a little heavy, but is still worth it if you're looking to go in that direction.