Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa/Boogie BassTriaxis: The clips.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Due to my endearing love for Brendan, I whipped up some clips of the BassTriaxis per his request. I recorded these direct out of the outputs into a Protools MBox with no compression, expansion, chorus, EQ, blah blah blah, of any kind. Keep in mind this is the sound that goes into the power amp and then into your cabs, so it's only the beginning of the chain in tone.

And here they are:

Bass direct/No Triaxis

Clean preset numero uno (my Tony Levin setting)

Clean preset numero two (my slightly annoying Les Claypool setting)

Funky fat preset (mainly used as an effect, but man is it fun with an 18" cab!)

Dirty preset letter A (kind of a Paul D'Amour sort of sound)

Dirty preset number C (my kill everbody and their puppies sound)

That's it. Those are the main 5 sounds I use, though I could make and store 122 more if I wanted to. Don't ask how to get one of these; this was a prototype made specifically for me 10 years ago, back when they were considering making them a standard production model. Boogie ain't making no more. Sorry. I just figured I'd share, just to let you know what you're missing. ;)

Here's a picture, just in case you were wondering:

[​IMG]

EDIT: I recorded some clips from the Record out, which gives the impression of what it might sound like through a cab. I'm going to get the guys at the factory to tweak it a little bit to allow for more low end and eliminate a bit of the upper midrange bump, but this will at least give you some idea.

Clips taken from the Record output (same presets as before):

Clean 1

Clean 2

Fat

Dirty 1

Dirty 2

2. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Damn...

So how can I get one of those again? And where exactly do you live? - full address and all. I want to drop off a "thank you" note in person. No, those aren't handcuffs... hey, turn around - something shiny!! ;)

Eh, forget it. I'd have a better chance stealing Myung's old one.

3. Well, now that you're working for them, and have sufficiently fueled the Gas of every member of TB who just HAS to have one, I'm sure you could convince the powers that be to bust out a limited edition re-issue. Just do me a favor and make them about $400, and that'd be fine.

Seriously, just do a little survey of the members here of who would really consider buying one, make up a small proposal, and take it to your boss. If you could guarantee the sale of, say, 25 units at $1000 each (I think that's what they'd go for), Mesa might just do it. They wouldn't have to advertise since you'd do it here, they wouldn't need any R&D or prototypes...they'd just have to stencil in 'bass' on the front panel and swap out a couple potentiometers or servos or capacitors/whatever.

4. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Hmmmmm.......

http://archive.bassplayer.com/gear/qa/qa9507.shtml
    If Mesa isn't interested in actually doing these mods themselves, perhaps they might make a conversion kit available that could be installed by a competent electronics tech..............

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Just downloaded the Gospel of Thomas: :bassist:

You sound like an angry young man. :D Kick ass stuff man.

6. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Add me to the list of people who'd be strongly interested in one... though the price tag would still be an issue.

7. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Man I want one of those now! The Paul D'Amour sound is awesome, and speaking of the Gospel Of Thomas, I love your bass tone in that one too.

I've always wanted Mesa to mass produce a bass preamp... I mean they have at least 2 guitar rackmount pre's!

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I dunno, I kinda liked the direct bass sound better, and I like the V-Twin's distortion a bit better.

I'm not so jealous now.

That doesn't mean I won't kill you, though, so don't think this gets you off the hook.

9. [SD]

[SD]

Feb 24, 2004
    well Ben, i guess this post might not have been such a wise decision. A lot of TB'ers would kill for that preamp....you should be careful when walking on the streets! hahahahaha just kiddin'...or not?! hehehe

one thing! if you ever die (hope that doens't happen in many many years) and mesa still hasn't come out with a bass preamp i'm getting yours!! from ebay :spit:

10. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    No **** Ben. You definitely should hit up those M/B R&D guys. Even if it's not that exact model, I for one would honestly kill for a M/B bass preamp... :( Damn that sounded good!

11. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Well, I did the VTwin out of the record circuit, not out of the regular output. Perhaps I should make some clips taken from the Record output as well; it's output sounds vastly different, and gives the impression of a miced cab. I'm considering having them tweak those outputs a bit, as it seems to have an upper midrange bump that I'm not super keen on.

There's a bit more going on in mine than in John's. Mine was actually a prototype for what might have ended up being a production model. I don't think it would be an easy do-it-at-home kit, unless you happen to have a masters in electrical engineering.

As for Boogie making it a production model or making any more... don't hold your breath. Sorry. The idea for a bass preamp has been tossed around a little bit though... :ninja:

12. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    New clips added on the first post. Enjoy!