Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa Boogie Big Block 750 vs. Aguilar AG-500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fclefgeoff, Sep 28, 2005.

1. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    I have narrowed my search for a new amplifier down to these two candidates. However, I haven't tried either one of them yet. I did order an AG-500 online and have the option of returning it if I am not satisfied but it hasn't arrived yet.

Here is my question...

These amps seem to be close in price ($1200-$1400) and for the most part, close in specs (750 vs. 500 watts, 2 channels, 1 clean & 1 OD, etc). Can anyone who has tried them both please comment on the OD channel of each? I have read a few reviews of the two but I am looking for some "real world" info. I have read everything I could find online about the technical aspects but I need more info.

:help:

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I have not played the Big Block but I do have an Aggie AG500SC. Glancing at the specs, the two have about the same power output @ 4 and 8 ohms. I HIGHLY suspect that the Mesa weighs a good bit more (if not twice as much) than the Aggie (17ish lbs). The Mesa states that it goes down to 2 ohms, but if you do a search here, a few have stated that their Big Blocks have fried (literally) when pushing a 2 ohm load. Hopefully Mesa has corrected this problem.

Again, I have the Aggie and love it. I don't have the one with the overdrive channel (mine is the single channel) but I have an overdrive pedal that works well. I can tell you that the Aggie is no slouch in the volume department. It is not an extremely bright SS sounding head like an SWR, but I've had SWR's and don't personally care for that tone. It's a more warm and buttery and has more "depth" in my opinion than some other SS heads I've had and tried. Personally, I bet you'll be keeping the Aggie, but we shall see....

3. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    I currently use an SWR Silverado & a Modulus Jazz bass. I found that the sound was way too clean & hifi for my current paying gig (an AC/DC tribute band) so I started using a Fulltone Bass Drive on the front end and it helps to give me more of a gritty tone for rock. I am interested in hearing the aggie's OD but I am intrigued by the Aguilar's clean channel also because I pretty much play any genre at any time when I am not doing the AC/DC thing.

I love funk, jazz, blues, R&B, soul, etc. and do more of this type of music when I am not trying to sound like Cliff Williams.

4. I dont own it, but I have played through a Mesa Big Block 750 and Powerhouse 1000 and wasnt able to dial in a really crystal clean tone. The clean tone is very warm but not really very defined. You'd probably be better off with the Aguilar if you're just using the dirty sound for one band.