Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa-Boogie Buster 200 Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Harpo61, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Harpo61

Harpo61

Dec 15, 2000
    Tampa Bay
    I am thinking about picking up a used Mesa-Boogie Buster 200 Combo 2X10 I understand that yes it is very heavy . But the idea of a all tube amp is cool . Right now I am using a Ampeg B-100R which I love But Mesa is priced right and is local . Also I was looking at a SWR Readhead 220 watt . I know that the SWR will have diffrent sound then What I have . How much loud will the Mesa or the SWR be then my Ampeg

2. bassclef29

bassclef29

May 30, 2005
    I once owned the Ampeg B100R. Then I bought the Buster 200 2x10 combo (not the wedge). To my ears, the Ampeg sounded fine for home practice -- until I got the Buster.

The all-tube Buster sounded more organic, somehow. Less brittle, more "musical." Just plain better in every way, to my ears. I play Jack Casady/Allen Woody etc. fingerstyle bass, so your mileage may vary. Also, the Buster is much louder if you wish to play louder -- more suitable to higher-stage-volume rock gigs with a hard-hitting drummer and distorted electric guitar.

Bottom line was, I sold the Ampeg. But beware. The Buster is SO heavy that I had a separate head cabinet built for the head chassis. I now use it as separates, which makes things much easier for gigging....

Hope this helps.