1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa-Boogie Buster 200 Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Harpo61, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Harpo61

Harpo61

Dec 15, 2000
    Tampa Bay
    I am thinking about picking up a used Mesa-Boogie Buster 200 Combo 2X10 I understand that yes it is very heavy . But the idea of a all tube amp is cool . Right now I am using a Ampeg B-100R which I love But Mesa is priced right and is local . Also I was looking at a SWR Readhead 220 watt . I know that the SWR will have diffrent sound then What I have . How much loud will the Mesa or the SWR be then my Ampeg

2. bassclef29

bassclef29

May 30, 2005
    I once owned the Ampeg B100R. Then I bought the Buster 200 2x10 combo (not the wedge). To my ears, the Ampeg sounded fine for home practice -- until I got the Buster.

The all-tube Buster sounded more organic, somehow. Less brittle, more "musical." Just plain better in every way, to my ears. I play Jack Casady/Allen Woody etc. fingerstyle bass, so your mileage may vary. Also, the Buster is much louder if you wish to play louder -- more suitable to higher-stage-volume rock gigs with a hard-hitting drummer and distorted electric guitar.

Bottom line was, I sold the Ampeg. But beware. The Buster is SO heavy that I had a separate head cabinet built for the head chassis. I now use it as separates, which makes things much easier for gigging....

Hope this helps.