Mesa Boogie Buster 200: is this a good amp? loud enough? good tone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by yoss, Jan 20, 2004.

1. yoss

Oct 1, 2003
    I've run across one of these and am considering it, but I'm still worried a bit about headroom. The bigger amps like the 400+, SVT-CL & SVT-II, etc. all seem to be going for no less than $750 or so these days, and I really don't think I can afford that realistically. Someone here suggested the Buster 200, and I've come across one for just under $600, which is in my budget, but will it be enough? And is that a good price? I play in a loud and hard band, with two guitarists using full stacks and heavy hitting drummer. My cabinets are an Avatar 410 and 115. Right now I use a Yorkville BM400H which keeps up with them, but might be pushing it a bit, and doesn't give the tone I want for the band. Do you guys think the Buster 200 will do the job? Also, what else can you tell me about its tone? Any comparisons, contrasts, etc. would be nice.

2. yoss

Oct 1, 2003
    Thank you sir! I pretty much scoured the forums and read all the reviews I could find. It sounds like a nice amp. I heard the Mesa 400+ and really dig the tone, but the price is out of my range, so this one sounds like a good compromise. We'll see how it turns out in a week or so.
  3. So, yoss. How did it turn out?

4. yoss

Oct 1, 2003
    Well, good and not so good. On one hand it's got plenty of volume, and sounds good in the mix, but on the other hand it overdrives pretty hard at the level I need to turn up to to be properly heard, which sounds pretty killer in the mix, but is something I like to have more control over. I've ordered an Ashdown RPM-1 pre-amp to A/B against the Mesa for a week or so to see which one works out better overall.
  5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Well, it is a tube amp, and being 180 watts, it will overdrive at higher volumes. That's the nature (and the beauty) of the beast. I doubt that you will get more headroom by adding a pre-amp. If you want it to distort less at higher levels, you need a different amp with more power.
  6. yoss

Oct 1, 2003
    The Ashdown will be powered by my old Yorkville BM400H head for testing purposes. If it works out I'll get a dedicated poweramp for it. I want to see if it will give me a tone that will cut through, and fill the room like the Mesa does, but without as much overdrive in the tone.