Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa Boogie Buster 200- output

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ElephantTalk, Feb 10, 2005.

1. ElephantTalk

ElephantTalk

Jan 20, 2005
    Indy
    Ok, I've thought about this for a while and the manual doesn't really show a good depiction of the connections on the back of the head.
    The back has 4 outputs. 2 are labeled 8ohms and 2 are labeled 4ohms.
    Does this mean that if I had 2 8ohm cabs I could plug each one into the head independently?
    Ditto with 2 4ohm cabs?

Why not just run one connection from one of the 4ohm outputs to the daisy-chained pair of 8ohm cabs?

I guess the question is why have two separate outputs for the 4ohm-side and the 8ohm-side?

Thanks for any input.
    ET :eyebrow:

2. Very good question, i would like to know this as well. I still am not completely sure about how all the impedence ratings work and what not in series/parallel setups. I read the OHMs FAQ and it really helped but i still would like to hear this answer. I would maybe suggest to doing a search for that thread and read up and see if you get an answer. But if someone would answer that would be helpful for both of us.
    Cheers

3. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Ben Strange helped me out with this one. Think of total impedance load. If you have two 8 ohm cabs, plug both into the 4 ohm 1/4" jacks (8 ohm + 8 ohm = 4 ohm). Or, one into the 4 ohm amp output and parallel out from the first cab into the second. It's a bit funky if you are a first-timer!

4. ElephantTalk

ElephantTalk

Jan 20, 2005
    Indy
    Thanks for the input.
    Impedence matching I understand.
    I'm more curious as to, 'why give two separate outputs on the 8ohm side AND the 4ohm side?'
    Is there some sonic difference between running two 8ohm cabs connected (separately) into the 4ohm outputs vs. just paralleling out through one?

Why would Mesa give such a curious set-up?

-ET

5. There's no sonic difference between paralleling between the cabs or off the speaker jacks. They're electrically equivalent. I'd guess Mesa did that because some cabs only have one input jack on them. A lot of older cabs came that way.

6. ElephantTalk

ElephantTalk

Jan 20, 2005
    Indy
    Understandable.
    I never thought about older configurations of the cabs.

Thanks.