Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mesa/boogie buster bass 200 head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by neilsby, Mar 12, 2004.

1. neilsby

neilsby

Dec 11, 2003
    Has anyone played this amp? I can't find reviews anywhere, is it worth £650?

I've around £700 to spend on an amp, other options i've shortlisted are the Eden WT-330, SWR-350x, Peavey Pro 500 and the SWR B2R, Ashdown EVOII-300 and the EBS-HD350. I mostly play heavy rock, but i'd like a versatile sound for jazz as well. If anyone has any info on any i'd be grateful! Even a bass shop that sells a couple of amps and aren't f*****rs like the Bass Gallery who decided that £700 on an amp wasn't worth entertaining, so they wouldn't help me.

Anyway, thank you very much in advance.

Bassist needing guidance.

2. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    I have the Buster Wedge, a 2x10 combo version of the
    Buster 200 head you're asking about. I understand that it has
    a somewhat different voicing as combined with the EVM drivers, but its the same unit, powered by (6) 6GLC6's and
    (3) 12AX7A's.
    I think it's a great amp. Pure,round tube sound, straight-up and VERY sensitive EQ, as loud as you would ever need.
    They sell for around $600-700 US used; I know Mesa gear goes for way more overseas.
    The only drawbacks are those inherent in any tube amp; mainly weight and maintenance, but a fair trade-off for the
    tone it produces-It really breathes, and has great headroom.
    Your other options are all good choices, but the Buster is the only one that will get the resonance of an all-tube circuit.

3. Larry, I also have the wedge 2x10 Buster combo, and can say that "If you want that tube growel sound" don't go RUN and get it. IMO one of the best tube amps out there. Easy to handle and very meaty.

:bassist:

4. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    It really is a great unit, & the wheels and folding handle make
    transport easier. The weight is a result of the tube arsenal and heavy transformers needed to get THE tube sound.
    I use a matching Diesel 1x15 cabinet at times, and it adds a great deal of depth overall.
    You are right on about the grrrowl! Great amp for overdrive if you want it, along with perfect vintage "old-school" sound,
    like a B-15 kicked up a notch...
    I was blown away by the design when Mesa introduced them
    a few years back,and later sold my WalkAbout head to get the very last Buster combo at the Mesa Hollywood store.
    I'm sure glad I did- there aren't too many around-IMO, building an all-tube bass combo like Buster was a great concept and idea by Mesa; it just didn't take off with the trend of lighter hybrid heads.
    I think its well worth the trade-off for the awesome tone.

5. Larry, couldn't agree with you more :D

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    The Buster was based largely on the venerable D180 Boogie made back in the 80s', yet they re-worked the power section to allow for a more transient response. It's a great little amp, although it doesn't have the most headroom in the world. It gets some great tube grind, and also sounds very warm at lower gain settings. It is a bit heavy, since it's built into a head case, but it's not too bad.

I love mine. I mainly use it for recording, and the DI out on it is heavenly.