Mesa Boogie Buster through Sunn 2x15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by swassguy, Jun 5, 2005.

1. I just picked up a Mesa Boogie Buster head and I want to run it through my Sunn 2x15 cabinet. The cab has a JBL D130 and a D140 in it, and both are wired separately.

I'm wondering if this cab will be able to hand the power of the Buster and if so, how should I be hooking it up? I've got two sets of 4 and 8 ohm outputs each and could run two outs to the two speakers. I could also take my cab apart and rewire them together.

What's the info people have?

Should I just keep my Sunn with my last head and get a new one?

2. Thanks - if anybody has any ideas, shoot 'em my way!
  3. that sunn cab probabably came with two d140's which are bass speakers, the d130's are for guitar, they are both more than likely 8 ohm each so wire them together to get 4 ohms, jbls are very efficient speakers with a good mid range grind not a lot of bottom though...i have a couple in an old dual showman cab that i used to use in the 70's with a 65 blackface 50 watt fender amp, liked the tone but not enough bottom, the sunn cab is much better.....good luck
  4. Yeah, I've had that cab for about 8 years now and I've been playing it through my 50 watt Bassman.

If I turn it into a 4 ohm load will I have a power problem (ie = too much)?

if I keep it 2 8 ohm loads and run them individually will that affect the power in any way?
  5. I just don't want to blow up my speakers...
  6. either way you wire them your amp will "see" the same load, so it does not matter, them jbl's are very efficient speakers so just watch your volume
  7. Thanks a lot.

There were so many options I could see and I needed an outside opinion.

I may still get another cabinet and run them all together.
  8. It turns out that my d140 is a d-140-F 6 rated at 16ohms, and the d130is rated at 8 ohms. I'm looking to trade the 130 out for a 140, but I'm still really confused as how these are wired together. There are two inputs on the back, but it seems like the wires are used for both speakers. I'll have to put up a drawing. I'm not sure if I'm looking at something wired in serial or parallel.

I'm getting a boogie 1x15 roadready cab in the next few days, and I was wanting to run all of this stuff together. I've got 2 4 ohm outs and 2 8 ohm outs on the back of my head.

I've searched through all the topics, but trying to get my head around all the options is hard.

Sorry to keep bothering everyone with my neediness...
  9. 7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    I think the buster is rated at 200w, although I have heard folks say that the buster is 150w

How much does that matter? No idea. As long as you watch your volume, nothing should blow up on the speaker side.

However, I have always heard that impedence matching is more important for tube than solid state amps.

In any event, should sound great. Congratulations.
  10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    The 130 and 140 have the same magnet and spider assembly. The difference is in the voice coil and in the cone itself. You should see that the 130 cone is smooth and the 140 cone is ribbed. The ribs are there for extra stiffness I gather, that's part of what makes it a bass speaker and the lack of them makes the 130 more of guitar speaker.

You should pull both speakers and double check as there are many, many 130's out there that have been reconed to 140 specs. You should also hit the 140 with an ohm meter to be sure that it hasn't already been reconed to 8 ohm.

So - recone the 130 to 140 spec's and recone the 140 to 8 ohms. Wire them together for a 4 ohm load. You now have a very, kick ass rig with the Buster and that Sunn cab. Figure power handling on a 40 in the 150 clean watts range with very high by today's standards efficiency. I gigged for a long time with 2 140's and 200 watts or so. The best 2x15 cab that I used was a Sunn loaded with 140's. Very lightweight and loud as hell with great tone. Your ears will tell you if you're abusing your speakers or not. Just bring it on slow and remember the limits.

The reconing will cost you between 75 and 125 per speaker using aftermarket recone kits. The guys I use are at the upper end of that scale but they do brilliant work. From my experience there is no difference at all in using a JBL kit or an aftermarket kit. The quality if the installer is huge though. There are reconers all over the country. These guys are a long way from KC but they do fantastic work. If you call them, ask for Mike. He's the reconging guy and can fill you in.

Speaker Reconing. com in Portland, OR