1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa Boogie Buzzing problem.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by strke-fender, Apr 17, 2010.

1. strke-fender

strke-fender

Feb 26, 2009
    hey guys,

I play a Mesa 400+ through a Mesa 1516 cab and I'm having a small bit of trouble with it.

When I pluck a note and let it ring when the note begins to fade a faint buzzing noise becomes present in the tone.

It is not a loud buzzing and all of my orginal tone is still present, but it sounds like a fuzz pedal is blended in at a low volume.

Is this a problem with my head or cab? I haven't tried another bass, (i'm using a Fender MIM Jazz) but I can't see that as the problem.

Thanks in anticipation.
    Colin

2. strke-fender

strke-fender

Feb 26, 2009
    I just did a little more troubleshooting with some other equpiment. I hooked up the 400+ to my GK Neo 1x12 and it not fuzz, it was clear and persise. Then I hooked up my GK 400rb to the Mesa Cab, it fuzzed. Finally I hooked up the GK head and Cab together (which is the way they're usually run) and it did not fuzz. So, the problem lies in the Mesa cabinet. What could this be?

The fuzzing sounds like shooshing, phasing and moving sounding. like a fuzzy phasor moving in the backround of my tone. The cabinet has a 15" 10" 2x6" and a tweener. I've heard of different cone sizes phasing but I've never experienced it before with this cabinet in the 8 months I've had it.

3. jetofuj

jetofuj

Jun 16, 2008
    PL
    It might be one of the speakers. I have Buster combo with 15" EV speaker and when I crank volume and master, there is slight buzz. I guess it's too much power for an old speaker (in my case).

4. pulse

pulse

Apr 10, 2007
    Berlin, Germany
    did you try lightly touching the cone that buzzes and it did it reduce?

get someone to play a note that creates the buzz and gently hold the cone that buzzes

this may imply that somehting is loose with the cone.

sometimes pedals and basses can play a role

5. strke-fender

strke-fender

Feb 26, 2009
    I'll try holding the cone. Thanks.

This happens with and without pedals in the chain.

6. One or both of your speakers are blown and will need to be replaced or re-coned.

Paul

7. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I just had the same problem a few months ago. Read up on voice coils and then isolate which speaker's VC is dying. Then get it re-coned.

8. strke-fender

strke-fender

Feb 26, 2009
    oh boy. :(