Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mesa/boogie cabinet question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jambassist, Sep 26, 2002.

1. jambassist

jambassist

Sep 1, 2002
    Easton, PA
    whose used either of the following powerhouse series cabinets:

4 x 10
    2 x 15

i'm thinking of buying one of these in place of the bagend 2 x 10 i currently have. both are the same price which is $799.00. if i buy, it'll be from guitar center. most people say 15's are muddy, but since this has a horn in it, i'm wondering if that's a real issue. definetly interested in bottom as opposed to high end, but i do want it to sound clear overall. thanks in advance for your opinions

2. cwm

cwm

Feb 14, 2002
    A recent eBay auction was for a M-B 2x15, he bought a Ampeg 8x10 and loves it. I went to GC in March this year and tried out Ampeg SVT410HLF 4 ohm and for curiousity the M-B Powerhouse 1000 (4x10, 1x15, tweet) that I thought was also 4 ohm (turned out to be 8 ohm!). The M-B was louder and had so much more bottom using the 5 string. I used Ampeg SVT 3 Pro amp for both. I bought the amp and powerhouse, later buying a Ampeg SVT410HE (4x10, tweet) for more cone area and improved high frequency.

3. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    i wish i could try em all but cant where i live..

just from what i have read and heard (and the fact that i have always played through 2-15" cabs) i am sold on a mesa 2-15 + mesa 2-10... maybe because Flea swears buy that combo.. i may be better off with a 1-15 + 4-10 with my style of playing.. hmm powerhouse 1000..

sorry, didnt mean to steal your thread :)

good luck.

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I own both in Road Ready cabs. I sold the Mesa 2x10. The 2x15 is the perfect match for a 400+ if you want a fat, old-school tone. My 4x10 Mesa cab has Eden drivers and also sounds good with the 400+ driving it.

5. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    I have a 4x10 cab and a 1x15 cab. I find both cabs to be punchy and clear enough for my tastes. Obviously the 10s are better at handling the highs than the 15 (which has no tweeter either), but the 15 really helps out with the lower notes, especially on the b string.

I haven't used the 2x15, but I imagine it's pretty good too.

6. jambassist

jambassist

Sep 1, 2002
    Easton, PA
    thanks everybody. so the 2 x 15 with the 400+ head is a good all around combination? sounds like it would be since it's got a high frequency driver.

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    It's a great choice if you can handle the weight. The horn definitely gives you some upper register detail. It won't sound the same standing in front of it, however, as a box with 10's. 15's have a longer throw. But the people out front will sure hear it...and feel it!