Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa Boogie Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by miktit, Apr 25, 2001.

1. miktit

miktit Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    Denmark
    Hi!

I'm currently looking for a speaker Cabinet for my Mesa Boogie 400+ Amp.

I'm trying to choose between a Mesa Boogie 2x15 with Electrovoice drivers, a Mesa Boogie 15", 10" 2x5" +tweeter (I can't remember the name),

The 2x15 is cheapest. (about 600$ used)

Has anybody any experince with the pro's and con's between theese two cabs.

I like a funky midrange (Jamiroquai etc) but I think Electrovoice are more versatile than other 15" drivers.

Mikkel Tiedt

2. TCollins

TCollins

Apr 4, 2000
    Yes! I use a Mesa 2x15 RoadReady cab with my 400+ and it is fantastic!! Actually I cannot say enough good things about this cab...it is definitely the best I've ever owned!! :) VERY heavy though. You will appreciate the latched speaker cover (if you get the Road Ready model)

3. I use the Diesel 15", 10" 2x6" + bullet horn, it is a 1516EB.
    Great cab, but then so is the 2x15. Also I think the 2 x15 handles more power.

Hard choice.

4. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    MESA cabs rule!!!!!!! I've used the 2x15 and it's great. Between the 2 it depends on the sound you want. The 2x15 has lots of balls on the low end, is very tight sounding and clear. Has a surprising amount of highe end for 15's as well. What it lacks would be lot's of high mids. For slap funk and what not this is a good thing IMHO, for bright, aggressive overdriven rock type sounds you'd need some 10's to go with it for some articulation. It can do darker rock sounds just fine. The other cab while I've never palyed through it I would imagine it would be more full range, and studio monitor like sounding. Hard to say which would be better.

5. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I have two Mesa-Boogie cabs. I think they are awesome! I cant say enough about how great they sound and how durably built they are. I have both a 6x10 cab and a 2x15 cab and love them. My band plays out pretty much every weekend so the cabs get a lot of shipping and handling going on. The have remained perfectly intact for a year and a half now, still sounding like they did on the first day. Anyway, regarding your choice, I think you should have at least a 15 and a 10 (maybe 2-10s if you can afford it). They are expensive but well worth it.

6. I tried the 4x10 with horn i think it was the 4x10 deep . I played it through a 400+ at a festival.. which was nice since i have got a 400+ too.. but anyway I was a bit sceptical at first, but when I plugged in I just got blown away by that sound, really deep, clear and everything.. too bad I cant afford one. Neither do I have roadies to lug it around :) But still I think it is a great cab. :D

7. Boggie rules!!! I also have a 2x15 rd.rdy.& a2x10 rd.rdy. powered by a M-pulse 600...but I must agree with killerb and brewer9 the 10's and 15's are the way to go.maybe a 1x15 and 2x10 w\tweeter would be a good rig...in fact I'm thinkin about that myself,that 2x15 gets REALLY heavy at the end of the night.........go road ready if you can afford to...no...scratch that......you can't afford not to go road ready,it's the last word said when it comes to protecting your investment.well worth the extra money..ok, I ranted long enough..LATER!!!!

8. i run either a 2x10 diesel w/ my 400+, on top of a 1x15 diesel, but my preferrence is my 4x10 diesel with the 1x15 on the bottom. wow, big difference!!i love that combination,....... these cabs are all ev loaded. boogie rules!!!! go roadready, even better cause of the protective covers etc