Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa Boogie Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fachie3, Dec 10, 2001.

1. fachie3

fachie3

Nov 12, 2001
    Chicago IL.
    Hello all,

I am semi new to this site and while enjoying the good information on amps, cabinets, and basses I have really only seen very little on Mesa Boogie cabinets.
    I have the Diesel series 1x15 and 2x10 cabs with EV speakers in them.
    Most of the cabs talk has been about Eden, SWR, Acme, or ampeg.
    What is the opinion of most of you on these Mesa cabinets - I use them to play rock n roll music and they sound fine - would it make a difference if I switch to a Eden configuration 1x15 and 2x10 or are these cabinets close in quality.
    I have not seen much activity on this subject regarding mesa boogie cabinets.
    If there is a big difference I am thinking about going with a new speaker config of Eden 410XLT and a 210XLT.
    Would this be a step up or not.

Thanks for any advice.

2. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    honestly i have loved all the mesa amps
    and cabs i have played. i am currently
    considering replacing my carvin cabs with
    mesa. as far as quality, i think theyre definitely
    top quality, unless you can spend ridiculous
    amounts of money on bag-end or elf speakers,
    mesa is top of the line stuff. eden is good and
    lotso people like them but i personally like the
    punch and character that you get from mesa.
    hope i helped

3. fachie3

fachie3

Nov 12, 2001
    Chicago IL.
    Tdogg,

Thanks - and yes that helped - you also mentioned you have or like mesa amps - do you own the 400+ and if you do would you recommend it. I have the Eden WT800 and I am considering going with the 400+

Thanks

4. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    i actually dont own any mesa equipment
    but i plan to change that in the near future.
    try running a search for mesa 400+ and see if
    any body does have that head. im sure you'll
    find plenty of other mesa threads too

5. hang onto it man....
    And if you ever do decide to sell the 1x15 in the next like 6 months or year, let me know. I may be in the market for somehtign to complete my current rig.
    Peace
    Graham

6. Oh, i think that the Mesa cabs and heads definately rock. I was heavily considering purchasing myself some but i decided not to go with them. Mainly, after playing through Ampeg, i just found a much better rock sound. Not only that, but the highs on the Mesa just practically don't exist in comparison.

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    fachie3, keep the Mesa cabs, man. I love Eden cabs and currently own 4 of them but I'll take Mesa cabs any day. I currently use a 2x15 (EV's, 4ohm total) and 4x10 (Eden drivers, 8 ohm total) in Road Ready cases. They're heavy beasts but sound the best of any I've owned (and I've had a bunch). I also use a Boogie 400+ and find it to be the best current production tube amp for my sound (classic rock). Current SLM Ampeg stuff is junk next to Mesa gear. Eden is good but no match for a 400+ with Mesa cabs. The downside? Weight. The upside? Superior tone and power. For instance, a 400+ will blow away an SLM SVT Classic or an SVT Pro IV any day. To get a better rig, you'd have to go with a vintage, early seventies SVT. In other words, a REAL Ampeg!

Lastly, the WT800 is a very good SS amp but it's no 400+. If you can handle the weight, you'll love it. Don't believe the hype about re-tubing--it'll cost a bit but is not required all that often. The sound is worth every cent, in any case.

8. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    fachie3? I was looking at getting a mesa 2x10 and 1x15 setup. How much volume do you get out of them?]

thanks,
    Travis

9. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    How much volume? I don't think he would be able to answer a question like that beyond "a lot" or "good enough".

10. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Mesa cabs and Ampeg heads is the only way to fly, man!!!

Those things come with anvil cases built around them! They sound great, but theyre very expensive and very heavy. I love my road ready 410, I got it used for $500 from a friend.

11. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Well, examples like "I cut through easily with a guitarist using a Crate 120 watt, another guitarist with a Marshall 70 watt, and fairly loud drummer." or "I have some difficulty cutting through with a loud drummer, a couple horns, 2 loud guitars, and a keyboard" would suffice I would think.

12. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    For all you Mesa cab owners, what other brand of cab out there would you say Mesa cabs are most similar to?
    None of the shops near me carry Mesa bass stuff, so I would like to get an idea of what kind of character the Mesa cabs have.

13. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    hmm... they sorta look like SWR... but nothing sounds as good as Mesa cabs. They are extremely heavy, and they cut through EXTREMELY well. Theyre incredibly loud, my 410 handles 600 watts at 8 ohms. They are awesome for slapping, I cant explain it they just sound so great... Ive never played through a better cab than my Mesa 410, not even Ampeg 8x10s can compare, IMO. I just get so much punch with it, its awesome. Guitar Center usually has mesa boogie stuff, Ive seen road ready cabs there a few times. They also had a 400+ but they sold it.

You have to play through a Mesa Boogie cab if you can, I would highly recommend it. I sincerely believe that they are the punchiest cabs in the world.

14. fachie3

fachie3

Nov 12, 2001
    Chicago IL.
    Punkertrav,

Estring said it well - not only do they handle the volume they sound great. Plus they are plenty loud - they are both 8 ohm cabinets - the 15 is 400 watts and the 2x10 handles 300 watts. I play them through the eden and the loudest I have ever had them is main at 12:00 and pre at 11:00 and it's plenty loud.
    They are heavy cabinets but a plus to have.

Hope that answers your question.

Thanks

15. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Nothing really sounds like Mesa. Closest might be Eden XLT's. The cabs make a big difference in the tone, BTW. I use Road Ready cabs. I have no experience with the newer line of lighter cabs. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they sounded somewhat less "fat," however.

16. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    fachie.... if you decide you like the 400+, make sure you know the consequences and repercussions of owning one... they weigh a TON... and getting them retubed is going to cost you a few hundred dollars.... I'm not saying they're a bad idea, if you like the sound then they're awesome, but make sure that you absolutely love it before you buy it.

as far as tone... the big players for rock seem to be Ampeg and Mesa... to me, SWR and Eden are a lot cleaner, more refined for jazz, funk, etc....

Ampeg is more gritty and ballsy, whilst mesa sounds "fatter, thicker" etc... all these words are completely subjective, but that's what i think about the amps... i think your cabs are great... if they work for you then definately hold on to em

either way you have a great setup now, and will only be improving it if you can find a head that you like more.. so goodluck.... try everything you can get your hands on... shopping for bass stuff is the greatest

17. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I loved my mesa cabs. I used to have the diesel 4x10 Deep, the 1x15 and the Powerhouse JR. They are incredibally punchy. Even the 1x15! I switched to Eden because they weigh less, handle more wattage and are tuned lower, but I have only fond memories of the Mesa cabs. They are top-notch construction!