1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa Boogie D-180 200.00

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by fenderhutz, Mar 4, 2008.

1. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
  2. Thanks for the heads up. I've always wondered about these.....so I took a gamble. Even needing a re-tube, I've blown $200 on much worse things. Haha

3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Crap.......I was on hold to buy it before I saw the reply here :)

4. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I've played through it at the El Cerrito store...it needs help as you've guessed. Not being a tube amp guy I have no idea what it needs, but it was distorting at low volumes and not in a good way.

The store had it marked for $600; if they had it for $200, I definitely would've gotten it. A lot of potential for $200. :)

Marshall

5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    new tubes and a tuneup by an amptech and you're in for about $600. nice deal.

6. I loves me my D-180. $650 w/1X15 cab- nice but $200 is nicer.

7. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    If it were local I'd be all over this, good luck guys

8. First of all, the packaging was piss poor. The box was falling apart when I received it, but at least there was a lot of padding.

Second, this amp looks like it's been in someone's attic for the past 15 years. It's dusty as hell and even has some spider webs inside. In spite of the neglect, there seems to be no real damage to the amp. There are only a few scratches on top, the lettering still looks bold, and even the attached cord is in good shape. If I had to guess, I would say that the tubes are the ones that it left the factory with. They're Mesa tubes with green print on them which was hard to see through all the dust.

After I examine it and wipe off as much dust as possible. I plug it in, and hit the power switch. All of the tubes glow nice and bright...good sign. After a good 5 minutes, I strapped on my p-bass, anxiously hit the standby switch, and wait for the flames. Fortunately the only thing that came out was a nice, thick, and creamy fatness that I've never experienced (my first all tube amp). This is awesome! I have no idea what the problem is because plugged into input 2, with the master on 10 and my eq set to taste, I could only turn up to '3' on the input volume and it was rattling the china cabinet in the kitchen. No distortion that I can hear. Maybe the UPS goons beat the problem out of it. haha.

I'm a little nervous about what underlying issues exist, but for $200 i'm tickled pink. I can't wait to take it, get it checked out and retubed. I can only imagine the orgasmic sounds that the d-180 can produce when it's running at full potential. :D

9. Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    You suck ;)

10. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Indeed! :spit:

Hope it works out well for you. Enjoy!

11. azwhofan

azwhofan Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Arizona
    Holy crapoli, that's the deal of the day for sure!!
    God must love you a lot.
    Your insurance company may not, however, if you burn down your house.
    I'd leave it turned on, on standby, for a few hours then powered up for a few more hours and watch for any weirdenss.

You may not need new tubes. Have your tech check them, get a copy of the readings, check them against spec. If you do retube, make sure you get the old ones back.

Dig araound TB and learn how to bias an amp. In general t's not a hard thing to do!

Congrats again!!

12. Definitely. I made sure to unplug the amp before I left my house this afternoon. Like I said, I'm sure that there are some issues with the amp that lie under the surface, but for right now I'm pretty stoked.

And I should look into learning to bias......I'm just really scared of becoming an electrocution victim. haha

13. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV

Not God, A bored TB'er that has nothing better to do than search used gear all day at my boring job.

I am glad that amp I found was a freaking steal.

:)

14. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    Open E will shake the china and send the spidy's runni'n!:)

15. 'Tis true....I wouldn't have seen it if it hadn't been for this fine gentleman. Of course he's no stranger to GC steals either. ;)

16. Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I bought a roscoe LG3005 for $799, MM Sterling for $499, and a canadian fury tornado bass ($2k new) for $199.

I've come across a couple okay deals there myself.

17. Wow.....I've gotta start scouring their used gear on a daily basis. That's incredible.

18. Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Those were all in store buys when I just strolled in not really looking for anything. Any time I actually go look (pretty much ALL the Ohio stores on a regular basis), I can't find jack for great deals.

19. azwhofan

azwhofan Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Arizona
    +1. I could never find a Grateful Dead ticket to save my life. but somehow, great gear at great prices keeps falling into my hands when I'm not looking for it :)

20. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    Damn fine deal!!!