mesa boogie D-180

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by big evil robot, Apr 19, 2005.

1. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    anyone know anything about this head?
  2. it's the predecessor of the 400 (later 400+) head. If you have one and don't mind the weight enjoy it; great amp.
  3. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    yep...Boogie's first bass amp. I got my first one in 1984. That head has a cascading gain structure and can get some cool overdrive. I wish I still had it.

enjoy it!
  4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Others here know more than I, but I looked at one and decided that I'd rather have a 400+ for more headroom...The 180 is around 200 watts? But the big plus for it is the cascading gain channels as mentioned above. The 400 & 400+ don't have that...and if you want to overdrive the amp you can do it through the pre section. The tone stack is similar to the 400's but without the graphic EQ.
  5. CrUiSeR

Jul 13, 2005
    I hate to bring up an old thread but, just in case somebody reads this(this is the second or third time I've hit it); ya may want to have a look at this
    There was one of these 130 amps last month on eBAY; I know some of you had to have seen it.:)
    Unfortunately I did not save the auction and I can't remember who the seller was, but it was coming out of
    Hawaii(Oahu I believe).
    Oh well, a pretty cool quick read anyways.:D
  6. anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I think the later production 180s, had the graphic EQ.
  7. Mine did; bought it from TBer natrab, flip-flopped & sold it, now I'm looking for one in trade for my WT-400. Call me Mr. Waffle. :rolleyes:
  8. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I just bought one of these myself from a TBer- it is a great amp, mine doesn't have the graphic EQ- which is probably my only minor gripe with it, but isn't an issue with my basses with onboard preamps (which is all but 1 now). I don't actually believe it to be 200 watts, more likely 150 or so- Mesa is kind of bad about exaggerating those numbers. It is also fantastic for guitar because of the cascading gain feature- really wicked overdrive, and I've heard of people using an A/B pedal to use channel one as a dirty channel (since the gain of channel 1 cascades through the gain of channel 2) and channel 2 as a clean channel. I have yet to try it myself.

I actually like the tone from this amp so much (very clear with good defined low end) that I just bought a Mesa 400+ so I can get the same sweet tone (and a graphic EQ), but loud enough for my ridiculously- loud metal band.

The overdrive features on this amp are so amazing- I don't understand why Mesa didn't carry them over to the 400 and 400+ amps.

All-in-all, it is a great amp, but not really loud enough for bass in any band situations I'm in- but I bought it as a backup for my SVT Classic, so it wasn't ever meant to be my main amp. As it turns out, I prefer the clarity of the D-180 over the muddy/ middy SVT, so I will likely keep the Mesa 400+ and the D-180 and sell the SVT.

Oh yeah, I searched for this amp on Google or Yahoo before I bought it and saw something about how the bassist of Van Halen or Motley Crue (can't remember which) uses one for recording!

Good luck if you find one,
    Karl Zickrick
  9. anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I really tried to make the A/B/Y pedal work, with my D-180.

I was able to get the two Chanel, (clean/dirty) thing happening, but I didn't think either Channel, sounded as good as using this amp in the normal manner.

For me, this kinda ruled out using both chanels with an A/B/Y Box.

The D-180 manual states that "when playing through ch.2, the volume knob for ch.1, should be turned to 0, to prevent stray noise". (they're right)
  10. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    The D-180 is cool for an old school type of rock sound especially.
  11. CrUiSeR

Jul 13, 2005
    :meh: nobody read the link I posted?!
    The D-180 was not the first bass amp from
  12. I read the link; I don't see where anyone is disputing the 130's status as 'first Mesa bass amp'(other than alembicplayer, over a year ago). BTW, I couldn't tell if the 130 was all-tube or not- anybody know?
  13. CrUiSeR

Jul 13, 2005
    Actually it says the Mesa 450 was the first.
    I was just saying that there was a 130 on Ebay
    last month.:D
  14. :rolleyes:
    I see.