Mesa Boogie Diesel 4x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Maaak, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Maaak

Dec 13, 2004
    Nashville, TN
    Dunlop Picks
    I've had my Mesa Boogie Diesel 4x10 for about 4 years now, and I've used an SWR Workingman 400, Eden WT-500 and Roscoe/Ibanez/Modulus basses through it. Has anyone else thats used this cab noticed a tendency for there to be very clicky and almost annoyingly pronounced high end? Is this cab known for being very selective to that "clicky" frequency range? I've adjusted the tweeter but it seems as though it's all or nothing :meh:. Thanks!

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I did notice that the Diesel 4x10 had much more clarity and, to my ears, tonal balance than the SWR and Eden 4x10's that I compared it to. This is why I bought the Boogie. I find the high end to be pretty good, especially for the era in which it was made, and would call it fairly accurate, as opposed to pronounced. You may be having problems with your cab, or it may be that the Boogie is letting your hear a problem with your amp (or basses) that the Workingman's 4x10 is masking.

If you don't like it, the older Diesel 4x10's do seem to be fairly popular on the used market...
  3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    It seems to me that the Diesel cabs are the only ones that don't get really muddy when the horn is turned completely off. I find that SWR and Eden stuff rely so much on their horn, that all the highs dissappear when it's turned down. Perhaps Boogie only put their horn in there to appease those who would complain if they didn't; it sounds fine without it.

For the record I hate horns, and always turn them all the way off.