Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa Boogie Diesel cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Transverz, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hello all... a few quick questions on Mesa Boogie bass cabs:

1) What is a good price to pay for used (but in acceptable condition) Mesa Boogie 2x10 Diesel cabs? 1x15?

2) Is their heavy weight worth the sound?

3) Does anyone happen to have the specs for the 2x10 and 1x15 Diesel cabs? (dimensions, weight, ohms, power handling, etc)

I tried looking online for their specs but could hardly find any. Help would be appreciated! Thanks!

-T

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I typically see them going for around $300-$400. Good deals can be found, though, so look around.
    Heck yes! I lurve them; especially the RoadReady series. Start eating your Wheaties though - you'll need all the energy you can muster.
    -Dimensions: Not sure. They are about the same size as most companies, but a little deeper.
    -Weight: 75-85 pounds. The 2x10 is usually a little heavier than the 15, since it's got two magnets and more interior baffling than the 15. My RR's weigh 95 and 90 lbs, respectively.
    -Ohms: 8
    -Power handling: If memory serves me correctly, they are rated at 400 watts each.

3. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I somehow knew you'd be one of the experts who would "weigh" (HA) in on my question regarding these cabs. Thank you. I appreciate it.

The Diesel models are the ones with the tolex and the black metal diamond pattern grills in front, right? Just making sure.

BTW, just out of curiousity, did they make a 1x12 in the Diesel series? That would be awesome. Any link to a spec sheet site (official or non-official) to look up the dimensions?

Congrats again on the new job. I recently did a search for something or other and found a post of yours from like a year ago or something and you stated that someday you maybe would have a job there. Cool how things can work out like that, huh? Thanks again...

-T

4. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I got my Diesel for $200, although mine had a 200W EV, but that's enough for me

5. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Corwin:

Was that a 1x15 or 2x10 that you got for that price? Good deal!

And are the EV speakers worth looking for and sticking with?

-T

6. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    1X15. yes it's worth it. sounds pretty damn sweet

7. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    The Mesa Diesel 1x15 is 23.5" W, 19.25" H, and 17" D. It weighs 70 lbs. It comes in both a horizontal and vertical model (the logo and Trak-Lok casters are positioned differently on each).

The stock speaker is an 8-ohm, 400 watt Electro-Voice EVM-15L. There is also a tweeter model, but you don't really need a tweeter. Some people put an EVM-15B in them for (hopefully) better bass response but that doesn't happen - you lose high end and don't gain much in the low end. The stock 15L is the right driver. If it has been swapped out, you'll just have to decide if you like the resultant sound.

The Diesels are covered in black-grey textured vinyl and have steel grilles with square holes (not diamonds as you mentioned).

$300 is the average for used ones.

Mesa never made a Diesel or Road-Ready 1x12, but they did make a wonderful 1x18...

Nightbass

8. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Wow! Great info. Thanks. Got that same kind of info/insight into their 2x10? Would be extra appreciated. I hope the 2x10 doesn't weigh that much...does it? But thanks all the same!

-T

9. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I never found a decent used Diesel 2x10, so I don't have the exact specs, but B. Strange is correct about them being heavier, and a 75-85 lb. range sounds about right. Remember, these cabs are built like a brick outhouse. The 2x10 stacks on top of the 1x15, so we can assume the widths and depths are the same.

As for the drivers... Mesa used a few 10's over the years. In chronological order, the first I know of were black coned E-V 10L's, and they used a square tweeter with those. Then they switched to PAS, which had blue cones, and a round tweeter. Lastly, around 2000, they went to shiny black-coned E-V OEM Vintage 10L's and round tweeter. This is all to the best of my knowledge, esp. the identity of PAS as the blue cone maker.

Used Diesel 2x10's are about $100 more than a 1x15, so figure the $400 range.

Cheers,
    Nightbass

10. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Wow! Great info Nightbass! Thanks!

I might be in deals with a 2x10 Diesel for under $300! I gotta be willing to get over the weight though. Man 85lbs for a 2x10! That's one reason I moved away from my 4x10s. But for that great sound, sometimes sacrifices must occur. Tough decision.

Wish roadies were in abundance right about now... :ninja:

Thanks again!

11. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    If anyone is interested, I'm selling my Diesel 1x15. It's in mint condition, show-room new. It has the EV in it, detachable casters, etc. It's the horozontal model & has never left the house. Pics available shortly, PM me if interested.

cheers,
    ~S~

12. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    Instead of starting a new thread, I thought i'd just ask here. Mr. Strange (or anyone for that matter), I'm in the market for a 2x10 and Mesa has caught my attention. Would you have any recomendations for a 2x10 by mesa? I'm playing in rock band with a light handed drummer and a guitarist who's discovered the wonderful volume knob, so volume is not an issue. I already have a Marshall bass cab (1x15, 8ohm) and an Ampeg B-2 head. I'm just looking for some suggestions to go try out.

13. orzo20

orzo20

Jul 26, 2004
    The Diesel 210 has exactly the identical size of the 1x15.
    I was lucky to pick up both for $400.00 combined 3 years ago and enjoyed the heck out of them :D

14. I lugged around a Diesel 210B (EV speakers and 400w@8 ohms power handling) for a few years, and happily recommend them if you're a strong boy with a straight spine. They are SOLID cabs meant to shrug off serious abuse, which means thick plywood and major weight, but they sound great...very clean and flat without being sterile or boring. I put that thing through all kinds of hell through hundreds of gigs juicing it with a piddly 125W and never had a single problem.
    Unfortunately, the 10s don't throw worth a damn, but that's typical of small speakers. For stage sound, i.e. if you're running a line to the PA, set the 210 on its' narrow side so the speakers are on top of each other and you'll keep up fine, and will probably get the lows 10 or 15 feet from the amp. Placing the box on its' long side yields major boom but the lows don't really travel.

15. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I wanted to know does the Mesa road ready or Diesel stuff sound much different then the Powerhouse line? I own a powerhouse 2X10 and 1X15 and love the sound and the portability of them. I never had the opportunity to try the Diesel stuff.

16. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey HMZ,

Curious... just HOW portable are the Powerhouse cabs? How much does the 2x10 weigh? How about the 1x15? I tried looking for this info but couldn't find it. Thanks!

-T

17. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Well, we only make one kind of 2x10 currently: the Powerhouse series. It's a little deeper sounding with less midrange, and seems to have a looser feel than the Diesel version. The Diesels are slightly punchier, with more of an upper midrange presence, but lack a bit of that hi-fi tone that the Powerhouse seem to have. I like the Powerhouse series, but for my preferences I favor the Diesels, regardless of weight.

I personally am not a big fan of a 2x10 as a standalone rig - I'd much rather take out the 1x15. I feel that a single 15 will fill a room better than a 2x10 will, and still covers most of your frequency range. Again, this is personal preference.

The Powerhouse series are a little bit more portable than the Diesels in that they are about 15% lighter overall.

18. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have a Diesel 4x10 "Deep", with the shiny black 10's and the round tweeter. Best darn 4x10 I have ever heard, IMHO. I also own a Diesel-series Powerhouse, Jr. This is not one of the new "Powerhouse" cabs. It's a 12, four 8's and a tweeter, and to the best of my knowledge, is the closest thing to a Diesel 1x12. ;)

These cabs together are punchy as all get out and very articulate. On the mids and high end, they compare quite well to my EA gear, but to be honest, they don't have the extended Low B response that I get from my EA or Accugroove cabs. Still, if I had a 4-string only gig (and if I had help carrying the cabs!), the Boogie cabs will cut through a mix like nobody's business.

Oh, and to my ears, the older Diesel and RR cabs sound a lot better than the new Powerhouse cabs. But as noted above, keep in mind that not all Diesel's will sound alike. I had three Diesel 4x10's to choose from, and each had a slightly different driver configuration - so of course, I bought the one that I thought sounded the best.

Later, Tom.

19. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hmm... Interesting...

(wondering how much the Diesel Powerhouse Jr. weighs)

:ninja:

-T

20. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Slightly less than the 4x10, my back tells me...