Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa Boogie Dissapointment

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Oct 1, 2005.

1. well lately ive been amp shopping.....and i was testing some mesa's the other day, the walkabout combo, venture combo and a big block 750 and 410...and well...they all sounded horrible, i was using a fender MIM jazz and an ibanez rd900 and they all sounded really muddy and well.....crap....

then i went back to what ive been planning on getting a Nemesis 210 combo and this thing blew all those mesa's out of the water

2. Is a Mesa bass amp's EQ similar to a Mesa guitar amp's EQ in that 12:00 is neutral and turning everything/anything upto full generally equals crap?

3. no matter how i eq'd it, it still sounded crap..sorry to say all you mesa lovers

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Well, one sound isn't for everyone. You call it mud, I call it warm. You call it hi-fi, I call it sterile. Did you try the 400+? And what kind of 410 was it?

5. I played a mim fender stock for quite a while till i upgraded it on my Mesa M2000, i love it. Only thing I despise is the fact they don't make them any more. I've never had a amp that had more sounds in it and was so good sounding. Just my $0.02.

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    First off, Mesa has made a variety of amps over the years, and painting all of their stuff as sounding like crap because of the few you've played is completely ridiculous.

Second, No...not all EQ sections on all Mesa Bass amps are the same. They vary from amp to amp, depending upon the model, year, etc. I can tell you from my Mesa, the 'main' tone controls are NOT flat at 12 high. Mine is flat with the three knobs set at:0-10-0.

Third, ALL amps sound like %$#$@ if you're going to max out their tone controls. What's the point of having them if you're just going to negate their function by crankin' them all the way up at the same time.

7. dude, you've been using Trace right? what did you expect?!

:D:D

8. basslag13

basslag13

Apr 16, 2005
    this is pure blasphemy

something tells me that you don't know what you are doing. Mesa has some of the most clear amps ever. Muddy is definatly not a word of description for them.

9. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    yeah, seems a little extreme to me :confused:

from what i understand, gotta watch out that the some of the mesas have a passive mid range control and then an active semi parametric. so the passive mid in theory is flat when it is fully turned up. however people have said this isn't exactly how it sounds.

those mesas from what i've read about the walkabout are much more sensitive to preamp gain settings for "warm/drive" vs "clarity" too.

i've been interested in finding out a walkabout might sound with say an epifani quad compared to an eden wt550

10. Yeah theyre warm and you won't hear the sound of your bass super clearly, but theyre not boomy and theyre quite articulate. Not muddy at all in my book. If you think Mesa is muddy what do you think about Ampegs?

11. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    I played with several M Pulse heads through Mesa cabs at a guitar center & I just didn't get it either. They all sounded dry to me. The 400+ was good though.

12. i didnt have the tone controls maxed.....i like ampeg preamps, just not the cabinets...

ill re-word what i said....the mesa boogie amps i tried sounded like poo...there was no note definition and it was all flat sounding

i use a peavey mark 3 head and an ashton 15" (aussie designed chinese made cab) and it sounds better than the walkabout........nemesis is the way to go.even with its tone controls flat it sounded better IMO, more articulate, notes had definition and was still boomier

13. konfishily

konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    its all a matter of preference. What you may consider muddy, i think is warm sounding. Thats why we see so many artists using peavey over mesa (sarcasm).

14. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    This is a really pointless thread heath.

If mesa just sounded like 'crap' why would so many people love them?

I personally find Mesa to be really clear. They have some of the clearest, yet biggest and deepest lows i've heard. Yet they're still punchy and clean.

Each to his own.

EDIT: Also, Mesa's Diesels cabs are cleaner still, and more mid oriented. The 1516 cab I had was one of the punchiest, crisp, cutting and thumping cabs i've ever played through.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Why so quick to put the guy down? He played them and he didn't like them. So what? Some of you act like he said your girlfriend is ugly. Geez, don't be such babies!

16. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Because beleive it or not, people read things like this and then stear clear of Mesa gear because of what one person said.

There is also no point to the thread. All he seemed to say is that Mesa is crap, 'muddy' and that Eden is better.

Which of course is all subjective and gives no usefull information to anyone.

17. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    Can we back this up a bit... Nemisis sounds good? :meh:

Sure maybe a real Eden can compare to a Mesa but c'mon, I've heard some bassists use Nemisis gear and it sounds like a low end Crate.

18. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    My Mesa stuff is pretty clear and very very well defined on low 5-string notes at high volume. I think few amps have such clear sounding lows.

It is possible that the controls on the bass screwed up your sound. On all the amps that I've used in the past (ampeg, ashdown), I usually ran a real high EQ from the bass itself to get a good tone. On the Mesa amp that I am using, I keep all my basses EQ nearly flat. If I turn them way up, it sounds muddy and pretty crappy.

Maybe you should try out some SWR stuff if you didnt like Mesa.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well what is it to you? Are you Randall Smith? I think it's absolutely ridiculous that people would get so bent out of shape and try to blame it on him that he didn't like them. People used to do the same thing with me and Eden amps, and it p'd me off to no end. No, it wasn't me not knowing how to set them...I just plain don't like Eden amps.

People have different tastes. People don't like everything you like. People don't like everything I like. It's not something the guy is doing wrong. He just doesn't like them. Get over it!

20. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    All I have to say is I disagree.