1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa Boogie/Eminence Kappa 15 question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by savit260, Mar 11, 2009.

1. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I recently came into a 90's era Messa Boogie 2x15 Diesel (pretty sure it's the diesel line) cab with a blown driver.

I was expecting to find EV's in there, but found one stamped frame Eminence 15 with a voice coil rub, and a newer Eminence Delta 15 in good working order.

My local Speaker supplier is out of stock on the Delta 15 , and recomended the Kappa 15 (in stock) as a suitable replacement.

Any cab guru's thoughts on if this would work well, or be appropriate would be appreciated.

Will the Kappa 15 work well in this aplication?

2. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

They're different. It won't sound the same; might be a crapshoot.

Tell the supplier to order what you want, or go to www.speakerhardware.com.

3. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston

Unfortunatly, ordering one will take too long.

I can order one, but I'd really like to have the cab up and running for this weekends show. I guess next day shipping might be an option.

I'm not married to the Delta 15 sound, although the one in there that works does sound decent.

Is there any reason, other than a different sound why this wouldn't work?

4. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

The specs are quite different if you look at the Eminence web site.

Different resonant frequency, different recommended enclosure volume, things like that. The Kappa isn't recommended for a sealed cabinet, if yours is.

The Kappa has a lower xMax (3.2 vs 4.3mm) which will let it fart out sooner.

They're fairly close, but not identical.

5. morebass!

morebass! I'm all ears Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    I have the same cabinet and just last week swapped out one of the EV 15Ls with a Kappalite 3015. Noticably improved the low end with smoother mids, highs about the same. The 15Ls seem to have a certain character in the mids that other drivers don't have - great for rock. But for a smoother, more even sound the 3015 does better and handles more power. I'll either keep it like this or swap out the other EV for another 3015 and put my EVs up for sale. I like the two different drivers in there but I wouldn't mind taking another 8 lbs off the weight either and more power handling would be good.

I'm not the only one who has used the 3015 in the mesa TL606 cabinet with good results. Try a search.

6. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    I have the 1x15 road ready version that came with the 400watt EVM.
    I swapped it out for the 3015 kappalite. I have the same results as morebass. Much better low end smooth and punchy and can handle more power. It sounds fantastic in this cab and I haven't looked back. FYI - my 1x15 is vented as is your 2x15

I want to try the 10 inch versions in my boogie 2x10 next

7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    No surprise there. The EVs were great drivers circa 1975-1995, but they're marginal compared to Kappa Pros and relics compared to Deltalites and Kappalites.

8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Of my two Mesa Diesels...one came with a blown EV, the other came with a Behringer...blech!

I re-loaded both with the Em Kappalight 3015: they work great.

You can re-cone the stock EV speakers, and I have the one core still. If that helps you, pm me.

9. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA

yeah man..It's taken me awhile to catch on to this. I love the kappalite. The EVM that was stock in this cab strated to fart out due to excursion and now there's a crease in the cone. The speaker still works under low power but pushing it makes it crap out. It's in the back seat of my car. Wondering what to do with it now.

10. morebass!

morebass! I'm all ears Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    If you're wondering what to do with your EVs they sound great for guitar. Put 50 tubes watts into one and tear it up!

the bat likes this.