1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa Boogie Heads - Big Block 750 and V12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by burtonisalive, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Does anyone here have any experience with the Mesa Boogie Big Block 750 or the V12?

How do they compare to the Ampeg SVT-4 Pro or the SVT-6 Pro?

I would appreciate any input on this.

2. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I played a big block and it is a very nice head,
    the overdrive was very nice, but something about it didn't sit right with me.
    sorry I couldn't explain it better.
    the v12 is very new, but it looks damn sexy

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The V12's aren't hitting stores untill May according to my region's Boogie rep.

As far as the BB750 goes, it kills. Its a great sounding, punchy, clear, amp that has plenty of power. It has a pretty old school flavor to it when you keep the gain knob up since it adds just the right amount of grit and compression that youd expect from a tube amp.

It's my favorite amp out of the ones that we have at the shop I work at. The SVT 4 is a little dead sounding by comparison, and the 6 is nice, but still doesnt have as much balls.

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I forgot to mention that the OD is really sweet too. If you have a chance I really suggest you try one out. Its one of the best rock bass amps out there.

5. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I owned a BB750 for a very short while. It is an interesting head... very 'rock' voiced... grindy, aggressive and mid punchy, even more so with the overdrive kicked in. Totally different sound than the MPulse line.

One thing that disappointed me in the 750 was the relatively lowe power rating into a typical 4ohm load. It only generates its full wattage into 2ohms. I found the MPulse600 much louder and fuller sounding when A/B'd into a 4ohm cab.

That being said... if you are looking for a grindy, SVT-type classic tube-type rock sound, it delivers that in a small, light package.

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I just spoke with my Boogie rep yesterday and he said its looking more like June/July on the V12.

7. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I LOVE the BB750. If I didn't have my V8, that's what i'd have. Warm, clear, punchy, deep and with a killer distortion. I played it through a Mesa 410+15 rig and it was sweeeet.

8. The BB750 is a cool amp, but to me, it was really under-powered, even at 2 ohm and especially at 4 ohm. I was hoping that the BB750 was going to be a smaller/lighter version of the 400+, but it just wasn't the case. But now, I think that the V12 may be that amp that I was hoping for. I believe it has all the features of the BB750 but puts out 1200 watts. I can't wait!

9. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    when i went bass shopping a couple of months ago, i played a bunch of high end basses through the 750 big block and some mesa cabs. two things that really struck me about this head were how defined my attack on the srings were and how clear and defined each note was even to extreme volumes(i know this also has to do with the basses i was playin, but you know!). this head is awesome, and even though it has a pretty straightford control panel, it was very versatile. i like it even more than any svt-4 pro and svt-6 pro i have ever played. i don't mean to sound crude, but the 750 big block has some major balls! when i go amp and cab shoppin soon, it will be a hard choice between mesa and eden.

10. This statement is relative to what amp you're comparing to the power of the BB750. If you're comparing the BB750 with a Aguilar DB750, Eden WT-1205 or 800B (and even a M-Pulse 600 at 4ohm), it can't hold a candle to either in the power output department.

11. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    well i think people get what i was saying. as einstein would say "everythings relative".

12. Big Block 750 has balls I agree with Nick Man over there-and the overdrive is my fav on what i've seen at the store I work at.

I put the BB 750 on an Ampeg high-end 410 I think it was the HLF at 4 ohms? and it was pretty powerful, together with the Powerhouse 410+15 Mesa Cab, it will wake the dead.

I also put an SVT Pro 6 on top of the same Ampeg 410 and it just didnt compare (power and overdrive wise) and also too many knobs for me.

13. I just picked up a Mesa Venture 210 (M-Pulse 600 head combo) and a Diesel 115. I'm now shopping for some other cabs as my plan is to leave the 210 cab at home for practice and use the 15 and/or a 410 for rehearsals, and just schlep the amp around. I played some cabs through an MP600 and tried the BB750 as well. The 750 is definitely "voiced" differently than a 600. Brighter, more powerful, but didn't seem to have the tone I like so much on my 600. I'm going back to my local shop tomorrow to pick up the Powerhouse 410 and I'll do another direct comparo between the 750 and 600 on the same cabs, same store, same day.
    I have mixed feelings about falling in love with Mesa tone, it's hit my wallet pretty hard. At least I have NO trouble annihilating my guitarist's frggn Marshall now.

And Halftooth, I'm a Tipton student "Brothah!"