Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa Boogie heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassguy187, Mar 26, 2001.

1. bassguy187

bassguy187

Jun 27, 2000
    Nazo, PA
    hey do any of you know how good mesa's
    tube bass amp heads are? i could have bought a used one
    that had 8 6550s (400 watts all tube) for 850 used at this guitar store by my house instead of the ampeg svt cl which i bought for 750 over ebay,
    i'm just wondering if the other was better,
    i ended up having to pay to get my ampeg fixed up
    anyway and i'm wondering if i should have gotten the other
    one?

2. If the Mesa/Boogie head was the 400+, the thing rocks........I have no hands on experience with Ampeg, but I know they jave a great reputation.....I love M/B though......Hey they sell for about the same price, so it's all a matter of what you like better......Can't lose either way......

3. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I've got the older Mesa-Boogie Bass 400 (with 6-6550's) and it's a great amp. It has a big, fat, clear, and cutting sound. Aside from tube issues it's held up well in the 2 years I've had it and sounds fabulous through good cabinets. With an SWR 2x10/1x15 setup I've never had to turn it above 5, even in large clubs. The newer Bass 400 plus has 12-6L6's and puts out about 500 watts.
    Probably the biggest advantage my Boogie has over an SVT is that it's way lighter than an SVT (about 55# in a plywood rack). I'm really not familiar with SVT's other than knowing that they sound great on big stages and that they aren't the most reliable beasts around. The only shortcomings of the Mesa design are that the DI is fed from the master stage (which adds noise and makes it hard to maintain a constant level to the board if you change amp settings) and that the FX loops are finicky; I get much better results running my pedals into the front of my amp. The graphic EQ, slave output, and pull shift switches are great.
    Unless you find an older Bass 400 or D-180 (the first Boogie bass amp, similar to the 400 but with a 2-stage cascading preamp like Boogie guitar amps) in wonderful condition with really good tubes in it, $850 is pretty high. I've seen some around for $700-$800 which seems more reasonable. If I sell mine I'd probably ask for about $650 and suggest to the buyer that they budget another couple hundred for mods or the inevitable retube.