Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa Boogie heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass18, Aug 10, 2001.

1. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Australia
    I've been looking around at some Mesa Boogie heads on the net, particulary the M-Pulse 360. However, I am finding it hard to get some decent info on it (or any mesa heads for that matter). The question is how would this head match with an Ampeg 410HLF or HE (not particulary soundwise, but whether there will be any technical difficulties as I can't really tell from the info that I've found.
    I would be comparing them (M-Pulse 360, 600, walkabout and MB 400+) to the Ampeg SVT-3 Pro head, as that is my ideal solution and to the Ampeg B2R, as I am seriously considering that. However, in my situation, I am hard pressed to find much in the way of bass gear that appeals to me, so I am keeping my options open.
    As I play punk-rock (Blink, NOFX) style of music I need a rig that will suit soundwise and looking at power between 200-450 watts.

2. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
  3. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Australia
    On the mb site, it boasts the M-Pulse 360 as 360 watts Simul State power, now is that 4 or 8 ohm? Does it operate on that principal?

4. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    usually, when a manufacturer lists the wattage of a certain amp and doesnt specify how many ohms, its 4 ohms. just like when youre looking at combos and they say a combo is 350 watts, they really mean 350 watts with an extension. So the m pulse 360 is probably 360 watts @ 4 ohms.

5. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Australia
    So, I guess noone has really had much experience with mesa boogie heads and how they compare to Ampeg heads (SVT-3PRO, B2R)

6. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    The Mesa's have much better tone IMHO and are much more versatile than Ampeg's offerings. I have the Basis M-2000 and I can't find any amp that can do more than that. Not to mention it's tone kicks @$$!

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    If we're talking about current production amps, Mesa Boogie blows away Ampeg, IMO. I own the 400+ and it's a much better amp than the SVT Classic, for instance. For my purposes. To my ears, etc. Who know what you'll prefer? Highly subjective issue.

8. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    I have a M600 ... it is great! I've tried out the M2000, it was better.. but I couldn't find any place with one new.

I don't like ampeg ... at all... unless it is all tube