Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa Boogie M-2000 with Bergantino HT322?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lo-freq, Apr 11, 2004.

1. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Anyone out there used a M-B M-2000 amp with any Berg cabs (esp. HT322 or HT112/EX112 or NV610)?

2. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I know a guy useing a m2000 into a accuegroove elwhappo and it sounds great. I think the m2000 is 600 watts @ 4ohms with a 1600 watt peak. With the 322, I would think that much peak power would work fine. Im all but positive that it would work with the two 112s. I ran my two berg 112s with a ebs td650 with no problem in a classic rock band, playing a 5 string (around 500 watts @ 4ohms). Depending on your guitarist volume and tone, I think you will be fine with the 322/m2000 combo.

3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I'm considering trading my Dem 201S/QSC PLX1602 for a NOS MB M-2000.

Also considering trading my HT322 for either an HT112+EX112 or a NV610.

BTW: What should a NOS Mesa Boogie M-2000 go for (GC is asking $1300)?

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

[I think the peak power for the M2k is 2000W.]

4. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Mesa Hollywood was selling NOS M-2000s for $1000. GC shouldn't ask more for them, and they offered me one for $800 when I was in the market (NOS, but it was one that had sat out at GC so in my book it was really used). I ended up finding mine on Ebay for even less.

I think it sounds great powering almost any cab. I saw a guy a short while ago using it to pump two Eden 410s and it sounded incredible.

5. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Thanks.

I'm going to find out about what my rig should go for used.

I'll take my HT322 up to GC and see how the m2k does with it.

6. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Cool. If you can post a review how the mesa sounds with the 322. Im interested in that as well.

7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Yeah, sure; hopefully, I'll check it out next Saturday.

8. Yup, I picked up one when they had that sale.

Just point out to them that the amp has been dicontinued and that you are doing them a favor by buying it !

9. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I finally took my HT322 and BG (EB MM SR5) to GC to check out the MB M-2000.

I set everything flat on the M2k with EQs and compressors off and preamps in Mix mode. [The SR5's bass control was flat, some midrange cut and quite a bit of treble cut. Most of the time I used the middle PUP switch position (single coil+phantom coil).]

I set the Mix balance to full FET to begin with. The sound was quick, but very rich, warm, and balanced. The low B was very powerful. With the Parallel PUP switch position, slap tones were great. For fingerstyle, I suspect that live with a band in a club with fair acoustics, I would cut the bass just a little and boost the mids some to get the right amount of cut through while keeping the bottom tight and clean. The more I cranked the volume level, the more smooth overdrive I got; a bit like a really fast tube preamp.

With the Mix balance set to full Tube, there was a rounder, slower, very slightly tubby, very tubey sound. Not my cup of tea, but I'm sure some would like it (I'm pretty sure Mesa uses Electro-Harmonix 12AX7EH -- a better tube might help some). With the Hi Gain switch position selected, you get as much OD/distortion as you want depending on the gain/master levels -- would be cool for some songs, but I would probably add a fair bit of FET in to keep a bit more tightness in the low end.

The closer to the middle of the Mix balance you get the more the preamp gain increases (understandable).

My favorite tones with the HT322 were either all FET or for some stuff, a little bit of Tube added in (maybe 5-10% of the available balance setting).

Of course, without actually using the M2k with a band at a gig, it's difficult to tell how much tweaking it would take to get the right tone, balance, and cut, but I think it could definitely get there.

As mentioned, I didn't get into any of the almost limitless EQing available on the M2k.

Live, my SR5 through the Dem 201S (with NOS GE 12AX7) through the HT322 definitely has a very organic, tight sound that really seems to support and fit the music very, very well.
    But having said that, at least in the store environment, the M2k set flat, sounded richer and warmer even set to full FET (it definitely has BALLS).

[Anyone have an M2k in really good condition you want to trade for a Demeter VTBP-201S and QSC PLX1602?
    GC said the $1300 price was firm and controlled by MB.
    I think I may email MB and bitch at them about letting them go outta their Hollywood store for $1k, but not here in big D.]

P.S. As I (and others) have commented before, putting together a bass system is all about synergy (how the different pieces -- including bass guitar &/or DB -- blend together tonally. Some components can really complement each other in a way that produces an the end result greater than the sum of the parts (the Dem pre + Berg cab(s) seem to be an example of this). I'd have to live and gig with the M2k awhile to really be able to tell how much magic it could bring to my system.
    A good indicator of the potential is how well it sounded with my stuff with the amp set flat.

10. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    $1300 is WAY too much for an M2000, even NOS. $1000 would be max, brand new, in box, footswitch, etc.. I got $950 for my G.C. trade-in, as I was buying a brand-new M-Pulse 600 that same afternoon. You can find them on the 'bay for killer prices.

Also- what's with 400+ prices being so low? Seems only a year or so ago they were up in the high $900's. I've seen plenty in the low $800's recently, with good/new tubes even! Wierd. :) Kinda want one now...

11. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I traded my Berg HT322 for a Schroeder 410.

I'm planning on taking it by GC on my next trip to Dallas to check out how well the M-2000 does with it.

I will re-post my impressions after audition.

:bassist:

12. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    They are flat out lying to you. Once an item has been discontinued, Mesa doesn't care if GC sells it for $800. You go in there and you tell them that you've seen NOS Basis 2000s at other GCs for $800 and that they're full of it.

13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I emailled the Hollywood Mesa store (I heard they had M-2000's for $950, but I suspect they're all sold out) and asked them if they still have some heads and if that is indeed MB's policy regarding discontinued items.

The MB website only offers email regarding the website itself; you have to call during weekday office hours. I'll try that also Monday.