Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa/Boogie M-Pulse 600 vs. Big Block 750 vs. Ampeg SVT4-PRO

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MentalBass, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Hey all, new member here, but a veteran bass player. Until now I've been playing on a REALLY old head & cab, like made over 25 years ago, and I'm ready to step up and buy something substantial. I'm torn between these three amps: The Mesa/Boogie M-Pulse 600, the Big Block 750 and the Ampeg SVT4 PRO.

One thing I'm confused about are the power ratings of the Ampeg. Here are the power specs:

RMS Power Output (2 Ohms): 600x2
    RMS Power Output (4 Ohms): 490x2/1200 (mono-bridged @ 4 Ohms)
    RMS Power Output (8 Ohms): 300x2/900 (mono-bridged @ 8 Ohms)

What does this mean? How do you physically "bridge" an amp/cabinet? An example configuration for each of the above cases would be appreciated, as would an impedance specification for each cabinet used in the example.

Now, the Mesas give 600W RMS and 750W RMS, but I understand that the M-Pulse 600 is rated 600W at 4 ohms, while the BB750 is rated 750W at 2 ohms. Is this correct? The Mesas don't have any information on "monobridging", so I'm not sure how they compare to the Ampeg in that respect. Is it possible/recommended to bridge with the Mesas?

Obviously power is a secondary concern to tone here. I play a 5-string Ibanez SR505, and I'm into playing everything from Tool and Pantera to Red Hot Chili Peppers to Victor Wooten and Stuart Hamm. Which amp would you recommend? Versatility is what I require, above all. That said, I'm worried about the somewhat limited EQ on the BB750. If I were to go with a Mesa, I'd probably go with the M-Pulse 600. Then again, rumours are that Mesa is planning to replace the M-Pulse 600 with the Big Block. Does this mean a better EQ for the 750?

I also hear the Mesa cabs generally give much clearer tone, and fatter, cleaner bottom end (I'm planning on stacking a 2x15 Powerhouse with a 4x10 Powerhouse), than the Ampeg cabs. Any thoughts on this?

Sorry for the long-winded first post, but I'm sure if there's a place to get all my questions answered, this is it.

Thanks for your time, all.

2. The Mesa amps both sound absolutely amazing. Get one of those. If you like to play with your EQ, I think you sould get the M-Pulse 600. The Big Block EQ is better for me, because I don't like to change things up a lot. Either amp is great, though. Try one with a Stingray! It's like the voice of God!

3. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I was in your shoes last year around this time, went to GC 4 seperate times. Each time I went I tried differen't setup, and came out with a M-Pulse 600, have never been happier since. The PH cabs do sound fuller then the Ampeg, they're less 'effected' and I like the bottom a lot more. I think the 2x15 = 4 ohms, and the 4x10 = 8 ohms, you might have a difference in what will get more 'volume'. If you do go with the M-Pulse 600 you'll probably have problems running it at that 2.67 ohm load.

Hope that helped.

4. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    If you want versatility, definently go the Mesa 600.

5. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned Commercial User

Jan 8, 2002
    Hoffman Estates, Illinois
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    I've owned all three amps. To me, the Ampeg SVT-4 Pro had way more power, and more tone possibilities. The Mesa heads both sounded pretty good, but the SVT-4 Pro sounded better, IMHO.

6. I played a Mesa Pulse 360(I beliebe the EQ layout is the same as the Pulse 600). And it was immense.

7. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I couldn't be happier with my M-Pulse 600. To me it sounds a noticeable amount warmer than the Ampeg SVT-4Pro, which to my ears was very "clinical" and "sterile".

8. Many thanks for the quick replies, everyone! Keep 'em coming.

I have a couple more questions: If it were up to you, which amp of the three that I listed would you rather have for playing live (clubs of all sizes, outdoors)? Is power a bigger concern than tone when playing on stage? Also, what exactly is "headroom"?

Thanks in advance.

9. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    In my opinion, I'd go with:

The M-600

I'd rather have tone...I can always be amp'd by the PA

Headroom is the un-used capacity of a head to generate power (wattage).

10. zcwilkes

zcwilkes Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Barboursville, WV
    I'd go with the Mesa M-pulse 600 too. I just like their tone better.