Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MESA/Boogie M-Pulse and Walkabout

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Javy, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Javy

Javy

Sep 15, 2000
    I just asked this question in related post, but the subject line may not have caught the attention of MESA-experienced readers, so here it is again:

My understanding is that the M-Pulse amps and Walkabout lean toward the fatter, beefier side of the tone spectrum, sort of like Eden or Ampeg. Is that correct? I don't care for the super-clean hi-fi sound like SWR and EA are known for. (No offense to SWR and EA fans.) Can you get a fat, beefy sound out of these MESA heads, or should I look elsewhere?

Thanks,
    Javy

2. yes....use the gain control,it makes an impact on the sound. 10:00 - 12:00 is cleaner(ala swr,ea) and 1:00 - 3:00 is rounder and more robust(ala ampeg,eden). there is the 5 band semi-parametric too,which can really help dial in whatever sound you are lookin for...

3. I was in the local music shop (Music6000) here in Olympia, trying out some heads. I played around with a couple Ashdowns they had laying around and then I tried a Walkabout. It was more money than i wanted to spend but when I heard it i had to have it. The sound through a basic hartke cabinet was thick with mid-lows and aggressive attack. The eq, as said seems to be capable of endless possibilities. It has a gainstage section so that really helps beef things up.

I'm 216.00 away from owning it and i can't wait

4. Fatter than eden?

I think so!

Wicked groove machine!

5. DaveDeMarco

DaveDeMarco

Apr 25, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Disclaimer: I'm about as big a Mesa fan as there is. That said, I played a Walkabout for the 1st time yesterday and as I suspected, I loved it...better than the M-Pulse 600 for that matter. It really surpassed my expectations. I easily dialed in "my tone" (JPJ meets Entwistle) and then got everything from thin and nasaly Jaco to phat dub.
    I plan to eventually own one.

You are now in possession of my $.02. :p

6. rygelxvi

rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    The reason i bought my m-pulse was because I got it to sound fatter than the ampeg and clearer than the SWR. The M-pulses are really one of the most versitile heads out there, and I love the features. FYI mesa is now making 2 combos with the m-pulse head as well (1x15 and 2x10, both 600w).

7. When i put my gain up past 12 things start to break up into a not so nice sounding overdrive - i was wondering if this was what you guys experience. I find that I push the gain as hard as i can before it breaks up rather than work with the overdriven sound.

Maybe i just need to EQ the overdrive?

Also, how much gain do you guys use when recording direct? I can hardly get it to 9 without buzzy overdrive.

Thanks

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Gain-wise, I usually leave the knob around 9:00 or so (which is about one quarter up) for a clean sound, close to straight up for a rootsy JPJ kinda tone, and all the way open for a killer overdrive (which I consider a feature). Even with the Gain knob only up a couple of clicks, I am getting plenty of overall volume with the Master knob. In fact, this little thing is stupid loud for its size.

This is a bit contrary to how I have used other amps/preamps in the past. For instance, my Eden Navigator is usually set at about 3:00 (or 3/4 open) on both the gain and master. It seems to me, thought, that the Navigator was not designed to offer that overdriven sound, and probably set up its gainstages differently from the Walkabout.

And yes, Scutterflux, to my ears, the Walkabout can get fatter than Eden heads (not just the Navigator, which really isn't an apples to apples comparison).

Later, Tom.

9. I agree about the Walkabout sounding better/fatter, at least to my ears.

I currently own a Walkabout and an Eden WT-400 and I have run these to my Bag End 15's and the Epifani T-112, I have used different basses and the Mesa wins hands down.

Just sold the Eden.

My ultimate tone rig is now:

Lakland Deluxe 55-94
    Mesa Walkabout
    Epifani T-112

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    bassdr -

I've seen several people mention that they felt the Boogie was very loud for being 300W. Did it have enough oomph for the Bags? I seem to recall you have or had a pair.

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I read in the manual for the Walkabout that it will handle a 2 ohm load, but that this is not the recommended load, as "prolonged use of a 2 ohm load will cause the power mosfets to run hot causing the protection circuit to trigger and mute the output signal until such time as the mosfets can return to a safe operating temperature."

Well, being more curious than cautious, I decided to try running a 2 ohm load at practice last night - just for a "little bit"! Well, it handled it just fine. I wasn't really cranking it, but it was loud as all get out, and I could not detect any additional heat coming from the unit or any of its vents.

I don't intend on running a 2 ohm load on a regular (or even irregular) basis - it's plenty loud with my two Epifani cabs. But it's interesting to know that it can handle it without heating up. Now, if I were really slamming it hard into a 2 ohm load, I am sure that it would be a different story.

It's so nice to be able to compete with two guitar half stacks (one 100w Marshall and one 50w Trace Elliot) with a 13 lb amp that I can carry in a gig bag slung over my shoulder!

Later, Tom.

12. Thanks for the experiment Tom! You're a brave man

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    There's a fine line between brave and foolish, and it is one I tend to tread a little too often!:) :D :eek: :( :p

Tom.

14. Hey Heavy, Great memory!!!!!!

I never play huge halls, medium size rooms, school gyms, churches and the Walkabout to the two Bag 15's is more than enough but not as loud and boomy as when I had a Epifani T-310 and I REALLY like the combo of the Walkabout and the Bag End S15D plus the Epifani T-112, tone heaven!

15. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Doc Steve -

I keep having this nagging thought that I really don't need more that 300 "loud" watts... I'm not going to be playing large rooms anytime in this lifetime. Maybe I need to pick up a Walkabout with a return privilege and see if it works for me?

That makes three heads I want to compare: Walkabout, WT-550, and iAMP-800.

16. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    Rialto,CA
    I just bought a m-pulse 360 from a fellow talkbass member who also owns an iamp800. He says that the 360 and 800 were neck and neck as far as output goes, in fact the mesa could even be a bit louder. My 360 keeps up with a cranked Dual Rec. Head/412 Rec cab, and an angry drummer with my gain set at 1 o'clock, and my main volume set at 10 o'clock. I'm not even close to how loud that thing can go. I don't think you have any worries about the walkabout being underpowered; I listened to one in guitar center and it was just shy of as loud as my 360, and the tone maybe a bit better, too. The fellow talkbass member also said that the m-pulse and iamp were neck and neck in the tone department as well.