Mesa Boogie M Pulse owners...How does it sound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by um... yeah, Oct 1, 2004.

1. I think I'm ready to go back to an integrated setup after a few years of trying to build the ultimate rig, lol. By the time I get an outboard compressor, my rack will have to be seven spaces high!
    It consists of: Alembic F-2B, three space (nuts)Hafler P4000 poweramp-convection cooled, a space for airflow, a power "conditioner", and a compressor

... Ugh. :meh:

So...after ignoring all the hype for a few years, I missed checking this amp out, and I will do it as soon as I get the salad together. Recently, I've checked out Aguilar (totally un-impressed), and Eden (again un-impressed), but these are my opinions amd others will have different ones I'm sure.

In the mean time...Can anybody give their experience with this amp? I'm pretty happy with the great tones I can get from my Alembic pre. Does the M pulse compare? :confused: :confused: :confused:
  2. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I use the Pulse 600 with a few different cab configurations...

SWR Goliath 3 - 4 ohm 4 x 10 cab
    Bag End - SD 15 and XD - 15
    Bag End - 2 x 12
    Acme B-2

All sound very different but very good. As you know you have to hear it yourself before deciding.

I like the has plenty of power for my needs ..a very powerful EQ section..most of the time I bypass the 5 band EQ and use the active bass and treble and passive mid. The compressor has come in handy on a few occasions.
    I dont use the footswitch much.
    With the gain at 12 oclock thru 3 oclock you can hear the pre tube overdrive which is also useful. I have not used the solo volume control since I dont solo..

IMO the Mesa bass line is very impressive.. I can always dial up a great sound without too much tweaking. Very well built.

I also use the Walkabout Scout combo which is also great piece of gear.
  3. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I use the M-Pulse 600 with an Aggie GS210 and GS112. Tons of bottom and punch. It's very easy to dial in a great tone without using the semi-parametric EQ. I've done gigs using just the preamp tone controls and I've done some with the EQ switched in. Sounds great all the time. Oh yeah-it has tons of headroom, and it's built like a tank. I've owned Ampeg (V4B), Eden (WT-550) and SWR (550x). The Mesa blows them all away, IMHO. YMMV. :D
  4. Thanks to both of you ;)

Yeah, I'm a big fan of headroom. I will be looking at the 600 for sure. :D

I just found an on-line article in BASS PLAYER that mentioned the passive mid circuitry in the M Pulse pre is similar to the Fender design, ie. that found in Alembic, Kern, et al. Which would mean this amp is a quality clean tone machine.
  5. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I have a M-Pulse 600 with an Ampeg SVT-410HE and SVT-115E. It's got balls, punch, bottom, and sex appeal :0. Their factory pre-sets are VERY good, little tweaking on each and you can dial in the sound you want (or I can atleast.) I hooked up a M-Pulse 600 to 2 SWR Goliath III's got my ray and started to play.......I nearly died at that moment. In the year to come I will be a proud owner of 2 SWR Goliath III's and hopefully a Warwick FNA Jazzman 5.....those combined blew me completely out of the water and thrown into a mountain!
  6. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I also have the M-Pulse 600 and 57pbass pretty much summed it up. I don't use the footswitch either and the parametric only rarely - I can get everything I need from the first set of controls. The compressor is excellent - also rarely used but very musical when needed. I'm using an Aggie 212.

This is the most responsive amp I've had so far (SVT3Pro, GK 800RB) - very small adjustments make a difference - and though the other amps sounded real good, this is by far my favorite. Fat and punchy the way I like it. I have 20+ basses and it's very easy to get a great sound out of any of them with minimal effort.

A friend of mine (also a bass player) came down to one of my gigs last week - first time since I got the Mesa - and after the first set he came over and told me he was going to get the same exact rig I had. Meant a lot coming from a player with a lot of experience and someone who can get whatever he wants....
  7. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Funny you mention Goliath lll Cab..I just last week won the
    4 ohm version 4 x 10 on ebay..its brand new.
    The 4 ohm gives me full power from the Pulse 600 ( 600 watts) - what a great sound.. I will use it tonite for the first time ..will be back with an update..

Also I forgot to mention the headroom.. the Pulse has plenty of it... :)
  8. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I've been playing the combo at Guitar Center everyday for the last week...literally...I've been trying all sorts of bass combo's as well. I really like Warwick and this thing ****ing whales when you put a fna jazzman, the driving rock eq, and the two swr goliath III's :0. I think it's time for me to get another job! :(