1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa Boogie M6 Carbine or Big Block 750?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dudelike89, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Dudelike89

Dudelike89

Jun 27, 2010
    CA
    I currently have a Mesa Big Block 750 and am thinking about selling my Big Block and going to the M6 Carbine. I like the features of the M6 Carbine, and believe it or not it pumps out more watts at 4 ohms than the Big Block 750. I'm just wondering if this is a good idea. I have a rack mount tuner, and both have tuner outs on the back panel. I've had this Big Block 750 for 3 years and have never used any of the features such as Over Drive and others. I'm just wondering what would be better for me.

I searched up the wights and the M6 weighs 7 pounds lighter than Big Block 750. My current cab setup is a 4x10 and 1x15 which is a impedance of 4 ohms. The Big Block sends out 550 watts and the M6 sends out 600. I play some gigs, and am thinking the M6 Carbine is more appealing. The voice feature is moving me towards the M6 as well.

What are your thoughts?

2. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I just sold my Big Block as I own an M9 and a Walkabout and preferred both to the Big Block. The M6/M9 is a totally different animal then the other Mesa bass amps. Its quick, punchy, bright and loud and sounds modern yet still can be warm and very sweet.

The Big Block was growly and fat and in my opinion, sounded very good but it doesn't have the quick response like the Carbines do. I found I liked the Walkabout a bit better and because it was much more portable and pretty much as loud as the Big Block, I felt the bigger amp was kind of redundant.

You would be best served to demo a Carbine next to your amp to really hear the difference. Big Blocks are fantastic machines and very well built. They are still quite expensive new but are being sold used fairly cheap these days as the other models are more "flavor of the week". Tough call really. If you can afford to keep it and buy a used Carbine, you would have the best of both worlds!

3. echoSE7EN

echoSE7EN

Jul 1, 2010
    Balto., MD
    My M6 through my PH1000 (4 ohm) is the jam. Love it. Versatile. Quick. Punchy. It'll shake my house when I really dig into it.

I've played J's, 'Rays, and Warwicks through it, and I can always find a great tone. I find the 600W to be plenty of juice for the group I play with, and the "scoop selector" makes it so simple to go from slap/pop to motown-ish, to rock tones with a quick turn of the knob and the slightest eq-ing. Once you know the positions you like it can be switched up faster than it takes a singer to introduce the next tune.

I'd definitely go play one before you make any decisions. I just don't think you'd be disappointed if you're looking for a versatile head.

4. Dudelike89

Dudelike89

Jun 27, 2010
    CA
    I play in a band with a friend of mine who has a m6 Carbine. I really enjoy using his amp. I also went down to guitar center yesterday to try out some Mesa cabs (my ampeg cabs are not doing good at all.....) and they had a M6 Carbine there. At about 20% volume it was rumbling guitar center. I was playing a MM Sterling, M6 Carbine, and a Mesa Powerhouse 4x10. It sounded amazing.

I agree that the big block is more of a..."rock/in you face/loud and grumbly". And I don't fully understand the freqeuncy and the dual mid knobs. I don't know. The M6 just seems more appealing to me. And it's physically lighter. :D

5. wimpy

wimpy

Aug 1, 2004
    Czech Republic
    I think M6 is one of the best amps today...yes M6 is quick very very dynamics and very very loud...can be aggressive but still smooth... I had just ones Big Block on stage well it was o.k. but ...just o.k

...anyway somebody will love M6 or WA (which I also have) and somebody will hate it...that's live