1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa boogie Mpulse 600

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 1978Datsun, Mar 16, 2020.

1. 1978Datsun

1978Datsun

Mar 15, 2020
    i have the opportunity to buy a Mesa Mpulse 600 for $300, should come with the footswitch as well. Seems like a no brainer but I wanted to ask your guys opinions.
    Right now my rig is an Ashdown Mag 300 paired with an Ampeg 4x10, I just don’t get the volume I want out of the ashdown but I do like the amp.

How big of an upgrade would the Mesa be and is it worth getting? How loud is the amp as well?

2. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I had an MPulse600 for several years and it's a great amp with lots of nice features and for $300, its a great deal as long as the amp is working as it should.
    I can't compare it to the Ashdown amp you have, no experience at all, but the Mesa should be plenty loud on its own, with lots of well thought out tone shaping options.

Keep in mind though that if your goal is more stage volume than your getting with the Ashdown/Ampeg rig, you may be better served by adding more speakers, say another 4x10 cab, rather than just more amp power. All things being equal, 300w vs 600w will not deliver a huge jump in volume with the same cab. You need 10x power to get a doubling of volume, but all of that is limited by how much power your 4x10 cab can handle anyway. You will get way more volume bang-for-your-buck with twice the amount of drivers (8x10 vs 4x10) than you will by doubling your amp power.

So you have some decisions to make. The Mesa is a great amp, and for $300, it's a steal if working well. But your likely to be disappointed if you just use the same Ampeg 4x10 cab and are expecting more overall volume. You might consider spending the money on another 4x10, just make sure the cabs are the same impedance (ohms) and the total impedance does not exceed the total output impedance of your amp.

good luck!

3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    It's a fantastic amp with a great tone shaping features, nice onboard compressor and lot of muscle that you'll immediately notice. I owned a MAG at one point and the MPulse will blow it out of the water.

4. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    yes, the MPulse 600 is a very nice amp. But depending on what the OP is actually trying to do, if more volume is the goal, more speakers will get it better than just more amp power.

lomo likes this.
  5. WoodyJ

WoodyJ Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Kansas City
    Years ago I had a Mesa Venture 2x12 combo that was powered by a M-Pulse 600. It was a GREAT rig. Had it not weighed more than my first wife, I'd still have it.

Assuming that it works OK, $300 is not just a steal - it borders on highway robbery for a good M-Pulse 600!

6. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Be sure that it works properly, the cost of repair if needed can be substantial.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021