Mesa Boogie Opinions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassBeat33, Feb 28, 2005.

1. BassBeat33

Feb 12, 2005
    charleston, wv
    I have a chance to get either a mesa boogie mpulse600 or basis m2000 at good prices. ive read about some reliability issues with the m2000, anybody know how believable this complaints are. i play rock and like the sound of Mesas but i can't decide between these two. I think the M2000 would be alot of fun to play through but i dont want an unreliable amp, if i buy something i cant be worrying about it.

please help me out if you can

also the m2000 will have 4 years left on the warranty if that makes a difference in opinion.
  2. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Just to get things started, my Venture is based on an mPulse 600. It is extremely rugged, and as I've mentioned before on these boards, it's played in hot sun outdoors for 12 hours at 2.67 ohms without a burp.

Highly recommended, if it has the tone you like.
  3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    The m2000 is more of a "rock" amp than the 600. But you can get good tones out of either. Try them both and buy which one you like best.
  4. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Now THAT is what I call a testimate! Quite the abusive situation to be playing in. I cant say that I've played an M2000, but I know that the mPulse sounds really nice, as well as most all of the other Mesa gear I've heard or tried.

The warantee info kind of raises the M2000 back up... but still, I think the mPulse probably has a few more success stories out there.
  5. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I love my M-Pulse 600. Its never given me any problems in the short time that I've owned it. It does very well in a rock band situation, and it records amazingly well.
  6. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I have to make a decision on a new amp head soon. The BB750 was in my top three choices. I just went to the Mesa site to check the price list. They don't have one. The BB750 must be so overpriced that they are ashamed to put this information on the website. I've had it with Mesa Boogie, I'm crossing them off my list. Now it's down to the Ampeg SVT-6PRO or the Aguilar AG500SC. ;)
  7. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    +1 My M-Pulse 600 ROCKS!
  8. What have you played before?

"I think the M2000 would be alot of fun to play through"

These are the posts "Ivan" is trying to sort out ( I think).....God help you my friend.....:)
  9. BassBeat33

Feb 12, 2005
    charleston, wv
    i have played through many combos and have been using a friends fender bassman 400 halfstack for quite some time now. i have also played through a mesa 400+, 1960s fender bassman, eden wt400(i think it was) and an ampeg svt3pro. i have played the mpulse 600 before and liked how it sounded but the m2000 is very tempting to me though i have not played it and will not get a chance to play it. by "being fun to play" i simply mean i enjoy having lots of features at my disposal like the m2000 has and enjoy being able to tweak my tone the way i want, which it appears i should be able to do. i apologize if my selection of words was wrong (fun).
  10. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I have heard reliability issues with the M2000. I have only seen them used, but never with all the features working correctly, and they haven't sounded as good as the 600. I'd go with the 600. If your basic tone is great, like the 600, you don't need a million knobs to tweak. I think the best amps are the ones that sound great with the EQ "centered," not cut or boosted.
  11. BassBeat33

Feb 12, 2005
    charleston, wv
    have any of you mpulse600 users run effects? how do they sound with amp, do they blend good or should you not even try it? distortion, multi choruses, etc.
  12. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Joe Beets,
    If it helps, Guitarville in northend Seattle has a BB750, might want to check it out. I think the prices on it were 1395.
  13. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    That's the most idiotic reason to not buy an amp I've ever heard. Did you try calling a dealer? Jeez, dude. Show some initiative.

Good thing you're not buying the amp based soley on tone. Now that would be stupid. :scowl: