1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa Boogie or Ampeg cabinet?? help needed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FuzzFace, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Hey guys,I'm re-doing my bass rig,and I'm probably buying a Portaflex PF500 head,mainly as a neutral poweramp for a VT Bass Deluxe.
    I need a cab (or 2 ) that can handle 300/500 watts.

Sound wise I want a cab that can do:

metal! tight as ****,from mathcore to post metal.

slap stuff (defined and clear)

poppy stuff (think of skunk anansie)

anything from funk to jazz,and also my ambient bass only project.

(yeah,I'm one of those bass players that listen to super heavy metal from grind to progressive and avant garde,but plays in random bands :lol: )

I found a used Mesa Boogie Diesel 1x15" for dirt cheap,and I'm a long time mesa user cab wise with guitar (Stiletto cab FTW) and I'm happy,so I know it will be worth the money.

And the Ampeg,well...it's an Ampeg.That sound is awesome,but I dont know which model I should go for.

Also,I need portability.This means 2x10/1x15".

thnx in advance guys!

2. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    If you want tight low end,go for the Ampeg 410he. It's sealed just like the 810,bit with the addition of a tweeter. I use one at the rehearsal space and love it.

3. RedMoses

RedMoses

Jul 4, 2012
    NYC
    I own Mesa/Boogie Diesel 2x10, for years and it sounds better than most Cabs ive played, even those twice the size. They are HEAVY! so it might not be as portable but the punch and scooped mids sounds fantastic.

4. OlarteNovilla

OlarteNovilla Banned

May 15, 2012
    Etobicoke, Ontario
    i prefer mesa boogie over ampegs.

5. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I think in general you will find that Mesa cabs have a little more brightness and definition in the midrange and upper midrange than Ampegs (which typically have the right voicing for rock/metal stuff but are on the darker side tone wise, IMO).

I love the newer Mesa cabs (and the old ones too, they have "balls") and I don't think anyone makes better cabs for metal. I find them to be a little too aggressive for non-rock/metal styles, at least without some fine tuning EQ. You could probably use the Diesel for jazz and funk but it'll be throaty.

You might consider the Bergantino HS line if you can find 'em. Similar voicing to most rock cabs (low mids bump, etc) and a smaller footprint/profile, also excellent sounding.

6. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    Hah, the name goes infront. You have to listen to the cabs and choose, nobody on a forum is going to be able to tell what you are going to like.

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Pretty good descriptors there. I'd just add that metal usually means loud and you might run the risk of blowing a single cab trying to be heard. Be cool to find a pair of Diesel 15's. Use one when you can, both when you need them. Other option would be to use one big cab, but them you're stuck hauling way more rig than you need for the smaller jazzy gigs, etc.

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 to a pair of matched 15's. 2 of those Diesel 15's would be a force to reckon with.

9. monti2889

monti2889

Jul 19, 2012
    I would recommend a 4x10 cab...like other posts.
    This is speaking in general terms, but a 10 inch speaker will generally have a quicker response, because of the smaller surface area, compared to a 15. This makes it, generally, a better choice for slap and more articulate styles of play. This is not the sell a 15 inch speaker short (I very much prefer the sound of 15's over 10's, but that's more of a sound taste in my opinion). However, there are 15's out there that will have a quicker response compared to 10's and vice versa there will be 10's that will recreate lows better than 15's. So it really depends on what sounds good to you and your situation, but the advice given above is just a general "rule of thumb".
    So in summery, I would set my search for a 4x10 (or 2x10 if that's what your situation requires), but I wouldn't pass over a good sounding 15 that gives you the sound you're looking for and is capable of doing what you need it to do.