Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa boogie or ampeg combos??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Shri, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Mesa boogie walkabout scout with the 12" cab

34 vote(s)
    91.9%
  2. Ampeg BA115HP

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  3. BA210

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    Hi guys,

I'm hesitating between the mesa walkabout scout with a 12" cab (300 watts), the ampeg BA115HP (200 watts) and the BA210 (200 watts)... can someone give me his advice please? :D I want a warm sound and punchy.

2. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    Anyone to give an advice or at least to vote please? :)

3. dedmyers

dedmyers

Dec 23, 2003
    Tennessee
    I have the Walkabout head only (matched w/ Aggie cabs) and I can't imagine an Ampeg combo sounding better. The Walkabout head is also 13 pounds = tough to beat.

4. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I've got a BA115SP. It's nice & all, but you're talking a whole different class,, sound wise & price wise,, for the Mesa setup...

5. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    i love ampeg combos but there are a bit big...and heavy... as for the scout i thought it was a 300 watts combo but apparently it's only a 150 watts because of the 8 ohms cabs attached to it... mmm... i really wanted more power... i would have to get another cab then if i buy the mesa.

6. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    how does the mesa sound compared to the ampeg for you?

7. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I've never heard one, as noone in my area sells them unless its a special order.

However, consider this... The walkabout is tube powered, & is rated at 300 watts... Because this combo actually is built around a walkabout head, you're not limited to using the speaker built into the combo... VERY flexible.

The Ampeg combos you're talking about are SS driven, rated at 220, if I'm not mistaken. No external speaker jacks... yer pretty much stuck using what yer given.

Looking at this comparision, I'm gonna see what those price at...

8. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    yes, this is some of the things that i loved about the mesa scout. Very useful features, very flexible, and the sound is really great. And yes the problem with the ampeg is that it's limited and it doesn't have that tube sound. :D
    thanks for the answer Mc Hack!! that's cool ! :cool:

9. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    I've got the Ampeg BA115HP. It is a good sounding combo, but it is pretty heavy. I took it to a band rehearsal this Tuesday for the first time and got a lot of compliments. (I usually use an SVT pro3 head and cab) I was interested in the Walkabout scout combo as well. I have played one in a store, but it wasn't enough for me to have much of an opinion, low volume in a tiny room. I payed $599 for the Ampeg, it has a mute button and a built in tuner, which the Mesa doesn't have, and the Mesa was $1099. When I looked at it I was wondering if I could sell the SVT stack and the BA115hp and buy the 1-12 mesa extension cabinet and use the walkabout for everything. I just can't imagine that it could compare with the SVT3 and the Pr410hlf setup, but it would be nice if it could..much lighter and easier to transport.

10. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    yeah the BA115HP would be the ampeg combo i prefer i think but the mesa ....such a punchy tone!! The 15" is more muddy i think too.i'm going to use the combo with an american jazz bass deluxe with a J retro preamp and dimarzio ultra jazz pickups so..i don't know yet... the weight of the scout really attracted me and his tone was sure different from the ampeg but more alive maybe.

11. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    so with the bass i'm using you say that i will be able to get a warm and punchy tone with the mesa? :cool: :D

12. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    The Mesa will flat out have more warmth, & alot more power...

Tube Watts > SS Watts...

13. dedmyers

dedmyers

Dec 23, 2003
    Tennessee
    I haven't heard the walkabout through the scout speaker enclosure but I believe the scout is a 4 ohm cab - not 8. Look on mesa's website. And yes the walkabout has a better tonal range (punch, warmth, everything else) IMO than the ampeg combos that I have heard.

14. dmielke

dmielke

Mar 25, 2004
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Walkabout a tube pre, solid state power amp? Mesa's site says it has tube-driven Mosfets - which are a type of solid state amplifier. Also, I'm not sure a true tube amp would weight just 13 pounds. The tube pre will give you warmth, but your output will still be solid state.

Dustin

15. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris

16. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Look at what alot of guys are doing w/ thier seperates... Tube Pre, SS Power... Don't believe me,, look at the poll results this far...

17. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    LOL ! yeah that's impressive !! 100% so far... mesa rocks!!! :D

18. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I'm considering buying an Ampeg combo, not sure which one. But, it's interesting to see that Ampeg has released the SVTDI. The description includes - "The SVTDI tube-driven direct injection box is for stage or studio recording application. The 12AX7 tube is for classic Ampeg tube coloration to enhance the tone of a solid-state device". Has any seen a review or tried one out, that has a good opinion of the thing?

19. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    :meh: no, i don't know....sorry but you should do a search maybe.. ;)

20. The walkabout is a great sounding amp, and has 300 LOUD watts. Even with an 8 ohm cab you'll cut nicely into the mix.

:bassist: