1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa Boogie PH 2x15 vs PH1000 vs SWR Goliath cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by aikido307, Sep 25, 2013.

1. aikido307

aikido307 Schecter Artist

May 26, 2008
    AZ and Southern CA
    Hi fellas. I have a question. I have searched the threads here already but i think i need some more opinions. I will be buying a Mesa PH 2x15 OR PH1000 OR SWR Goliath stack with a Son of Bertha 1x15 and a Jr III 2x10. I run a Gallien Krueger 1001rb Mark II head and a fender jazz bass. I play in the Progressive Hard Rock/Metal style of music mostly. I am going on tour for over a year after the first of the year and i need the most road worthy gear out of the choices i listed. I am not too concerned about price but if i can save some cash before i go that would be great lol. I will say i live out in the middle of no where, so based on some opinions i get here i will try and find some places to try out the Mesas in person. I have heard the SWR so i know that sound well. Any help is appreciated. Thank you. =)

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Mesa PH 2X15 of those choices, followed by the SWR.

I wouldn't want a PH1000

Sartori likes this.
  3. aikido307

May 26, 2008
    AZ and Southern CA
    Why not the PH1000? Does the 15 and 4 10's in one cab sound off or something? Just asking because i have never got to try it. =)

4. aikido307

May 26, 2008
    AZ and Southern CA
    The SWR set up i have right now. I was just worried about speakers popping on the road with those because of the power ratings.

5. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    It's just not a well designed cab. I don't think they sound all that great either.

The GK could easily blow any of those cabs. Just use your ears for any sound of distress.

Sartori likes this.
  6. +1

+1

7. aikido307

May 26, 2008
    AZ and Southern CA
    Lol ya the GK is pretty beastly. Thank you guys for your replies. =)

8. aikido307

May 26, 2008
    AZ and Southern CA
    Bump.

9. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    PH215 all the way - out of those choices, it isn't even close...

I would also suggest taking a look at the PH412, and G-K's 412neo - they both would work really well for your stated purpose...

- georgestrings

Sartori likes this.
  10. aikido307

May 26, 2008
    AZ and Southern CA
    Ya i have thought about the GK Neo's too. I will try them out i just saw one pop up for sale locally. I have never heard a NEO speaker to hear the difference. Thank you for the response georgestrings. =)

11. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The Mesa 215 is the cream of the crop.....the SWR rig being good milk, not the watered down stuff......the PH1000 being a cow pissing on a flat rock.

IMO...of course. :)

Sartori likes this.
  12. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    FWIW, I've owned the PH610, 810, and 215, and have played thru the PH1000 quite a bit - I still own the 810 and 215, and have been gigging the PH215 almost exclusively for the last 5 months or so... The PH215 is a great cab - one of the best 215s ever made, IMO/IME - it is a bit heavy for it's size(approx 125lbs), and because of it's height(or lack of), it *can* be difficult to tilt and slide load into taller vehicles...

The PH412 and G-K's 412neo will both be easier to load, with the PH412 being the creme of the 412 crop... Also, IME/IMO, separates like your 115 and 210 are more work to gig with than 1 larger cab - I've been using 1 big cab for the last 6-7 years, and will not be gigging separates again... I've played over 40 gigs in the last 4 months, and this is what I pick from:

BassAmpsMarch13_zps33bb6e6c.

- georgestrings

Sartori likes this.
  13. aikido307

May 26, 2008
    AZ and Southern CA
    Awesome. Thanks for all the info guys. I will be trying out the PH 2x15 tomorrow. Actually the guy has the PH 1000 too so I will get a good comparison. =)

14. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    IME, the PH215 sounds deeper, clearer in a max, and will get louder than the PH1000... Also, the PH1000 is prone to blowing the 15, due to it's "design"... When I bought my PH610, I directly A/B'd it to a PH1000, and there was no comparison - the 610 crushed it... The PH215 can nail the "old school" vibe of the older Diesel 215s, but also will get much deeper/more lows - while having much clearer highs available, and can handle alot more power... I've played both modern rock/metal, and current country with mine, and it did a killer job in both settings...

One last thought - the PH1000 is the most likely Mesa cab to appear on the used market - the PH215. almost never - you'll have no trouble selling the PH215, should you decide to go in a different direction... Also, I had to order my PH215 to get it as a 4 ohm cab - you might want to check into that aspect...

- georgestrings

Sartori likes this.
  15. aikido307

May 26, 2008
    AZ and Southern CA

I checked into it and it is the 4 Ohm version. I am pretty sold on the PH2x15 already without hearing it in person. Plus it is cheaper than what they are trying to sell the PH1000 for used. It is a 2008 i believe with the grey metal grill. There is also a PH4x12 for sale locally too but it looks kind of beat up. It is the road ready one that's built into a road case.

Sartori likes this.
  16. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Agreed with above, the PH215 is pure awesome, while PH1000 and PH1200 are pure garbage. Engineering by looks at it's worst. Enjoy the 215, a most awesome cab.

Sartori likes this.
  17. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    You will love that 215. I would love to get another one just for a different flavor from my 12's (never been a fan of 10's). You should see how much they want for the Road Ready 412 though- and how much it weighs lol. The Mesa 412 is the best cab I've ever owned/played, which is why I now have a modular version of it.

Sartori likes this.
  18. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    The reality is, with the exception of the PH1000 & PH1200, is that any of Mesa's big cabs are absolutely killer.

I absolutely loved my PH412 when I had it. It was just too big for my current home and car, so I had to let it go. The times that I gigged with it I was in heaven. PH412 with a 400+ sitting on top...MY GAWD!!!

Sartori likes this.
  19. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    I bought mine new so I took a decent hit when I sold it. I should have kept it and just bought something smaller when I needed it. I have the closest thing to it now though and it works fine. Actually it works better in rehearsals, as I can face the bottom cab towards my drummer and the top cab out towards me closer to ear level and everyone's happier. Or set them side by side on a gig to fill more space.

20. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I got mine used in a trade (it was like 3 months old and brand new) and still took a huge hit on it. $500 :bawl:

Oh...and I don't know why it took me so long, but I finally realized that you're my buddy...in disguise!