Mesa Boogie Powerhouse 10" Speaker Specs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman08, Sep 26, 2005.

1. bassman08

Jan 26, 2005

I'm considering getting a Mesa Powerhouse 4x10 or an Avatar 4x10 loaded with Kappa Pros. It's been difficult finding the technical information for the Mesa 10" speakers (even from Mesa directly...very unhelpful, you'd think they'd want to sell you something, wouldn't you?)

Anyway, what I would like to know for the Mesa Powerhouse 10's are: 1. Voice-Coil Diameter length in inches, 2. Magnet Size, 3. Frequency handling (low to high), 4. Sensitivity dbl rating, and 5. If possible, x-max.

If anyone has the same info for the Mesa Powerhouse 1x15, that would be great too.

Would anyone who owns a mesa 4x10 powerhouse cab mind taking yours apart and telling what information you can find on the speakers?

Also, would anyone else who knows the specs or knows of anyone more helpful at Mesa that I can call could you please provide the specs or the contact info for someone at Mesa?

Thanks in advance for responding.
  2. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland :)

I had a Powerhouse 410 for 24 hours before deciding it needed more meat and trading up to a Powerhouse 1000 (four 10s and a 15). The difference is subtle but noticeable. The 410 through some of the tightest, most responsive low end I've ever heard, but something was missing comapred to what I'd played in the store. The 15 brought that back and I'm very happy with it.

Instead of digging for specs I suggest you go to a store and try out several cabs, then pick the one that sounds best to you. Raw numbers are at best only hints at what a speaker can do, and more often are grossly misleading since the usually leave out key info that puts the results in context.
  3. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I havent been able to find the specs on it, but it is a great cabinet and has some very nice low and low mids to it, with a particular sweetness on the highs. It brings out the character of my Mesa Bass 400 quite well.

I dont think the Avatar would stands a chance in comparisson, aside from economy value. I use an Avatar Kappa Pro 2x10 on occassion and it does have a similar EQ built in (low/low mid bump) but not the shimmering highs or midrange of the Powerhouse.
  4. Mesa will not tell you the specs. They want you to decide with your "ears" . Some say they are sort of like Eden cabs, if thats any help.
  5. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    IMO specs mean nothing.

All I know is the Powerhouse cab is an excellent sounding thing, BIG tight lows, heaps of punch, and a nice crisp top end.
    It's one of my favs at least..
  6. I know in their catalog that I picked up last night, the 210 is 600w < but I don't see how that can be if the 410 is ALSO 600w, with the same speakers ?

I understand that they want you to decide with your ears, but the specs are helpful to get an idea of how they'll sound in The REAL WORLD situations of a gig, with a loud band.

And if You don't want to "buy to try", or you can't borrow one, then I guess you're better off going with someone that WILL post the specs.

That's why I have Eden, rather than the mesa...and I really liked the sound of the mesa, particularly the walkabout, but I don't think the 300w is enough for me. and it also didn't have the compression that my 400 has.

7. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Since you can't purchase Mesa gear mail order the only way to buy it is in person. Where its easy to hook it up an use your ears.

Specs will tell you how the speaker works on a table in a lab hooked to a pink noise generator. About the farthest thing from "real world" you can get, unless you play in some ambient noise type band...
  8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    As long as they have a floor full of other company's gear to try side by side with theirs that's a very good way to do things. But if that's not the case a cynic might question what they've got to hide. Not that I'm in the least bit cynical, of course.
  9. Side by side in the GC's I've been to the Mesa stuff blows away the SWR and Ampeg stuff. They have a BigBlock 750 and Powerhouse 1000, along with an M-Pulse600 and Powerhouse 2x10+1x15. The stuff rocks, but thats just my taste. My second choice at said store would be the GK1001rb-II and SBX410+115 stack, to give you an idea of the kind of sound I like.
  10. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
  11. basslag13

Apr 16, 2005

they are not the same speakers in the 210 and 410. I know beucase i just bought a speaker for my 410. the speakers in the 210 are 300watt 16ohm i believe and they are hella expensive.
  12. I did not know that, I "assumed" incorrectly.
    I guess that would make some sense of the rating similarity between the 210 and 410.

13. I would absolutely agree that they are the best thing i've ever played at a GC for sure !

I too liked them way better than the ampeg and swr .

I just needed to expand my search beyond the GC to find what I needed.

14. bassman08

Jan 26, 2005
    ...or did you do some shopping and find a comparable speaker. If you bought a comparable one, what did you buy?
  15. bassman08

Jan 26, 2005
    I appreciate all the responses from everyone so far and I hope they keep coming (as I still don't have the info I'm looking for). I see a lot of you basically saying that the specs are one thing, but it all comes down to the way its sounds.

That's true, but the specs can help you from the perspective of telling you what to expect from the speaker when you hear it. For example, at the same time I was looking at/listening to the Mesa Powerhouse 4X10, I also checked out the Powerhouse 1X15, and I wasn't as impressed with the low end as I was hoping to be. But it did sound clear, bright, and punchy. It sounded great, but not what I was looking for. After doing some research, I found that the frequency range for that speaker doesn't go as low as some of the other 15's on the market, thus the frequency spec coincided with what it sounded like to me.

This made me want to look into the specs on the 10's before deciding to on whether or not to purchase the cab (Mesa stuff is not inexpensive by any means). I just haven't been able to find the info - hence, I started this thread.

There is no store that sells the Avatar Cabinets near's all on line, so I can't A/B it next to the Mesa I'm considering. But Avatar is very upfront about the specs on it's speakers and cabinets, thus, I feel I have an informed opinion about what they should sound like and if I had the specs for the Mesa, it could begin to from an opinion about how they may be different.

Please...someone send me the specs on the Mesa 10s if you can. Thanks for your help and input.
  16. Would you mind posting the specs of the Mesa 15?
  17. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I have owned both Avatar and Mesa Power house cabs and I can say the Mesa cabs will blow the Avatar away. I use the Power house 2x10 and 1x15 sound great and the cabs are built solid and they look great too.
  18. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Aside from sound and size/portability concerns, I personally focus on three things from a bass speaker cab manufacturer: forthrightfulness in publishing specs, availability of replacement drivers (with reasonable cost and fast turnaround), and availability and willingness to discuss issues with tech support staff.

Aguilar has really fit that bill with me. I also hear great things about Bergantino, Schroeder, etc. etc.. SWR/Fender = fuggedaboutit. Mesa . . . well now I guess I'm learning something . . . let's see where this goes.
  19. Mesa uses PAS ( i think) speakers maybe you can find something out about those drivers.
  20. bassman08

Jan 26, 2005
    HMZ, can you tell me what model speakers you had in your Avatar cabs so I know exactly what you compared? Were they KAPPA pros? What sizes? Also, how old were your Avatar cabs? I understand that they started using better crossovers a short while back. I'm really interested in your info because it sounds like you actually had the opportunity to hear once against the other. Were you using the same amplification and same ohm load for both?

On the other question I was asked about the Mesa Powerhouse 15s, the info I came across said they were made by PAS. Here is a link to the specs.

Please remember, I haven't had the luxury of actually opening up a mesa cabinet to verify, this is just what someone else on the internet said.

I do want to point out that my opinion, when I heard the mesa 4X10 vs the 1x15, was that the tens sounded better and actually had the same, if not more low end than the 15. They were also quicker, tighter and punchier. I know that the low-end comment doesn't seem like it should be that way, but that's what I heard - same room and same amp set up, right next to each other. PAS doesn't seem to have a 10" loudspeaker, which makes me think that Mesa may actually get the 10s from another manufacturer besides PAS or maybe they are a total custom job by PAS for Mesa. Hence, I started this thread looking for info.