1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa Boogie Powerhouse 2x10 and 1x15 stack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by aikido307, Jul 12, 2014.

1. aikido307

aikido307 Schecter Artist

May 26, 2008
    AZ and Southern CA
    Anyone out there ever use this combo in a show or band practice setting? How did it work for you or sound to you? I have mainly used 4x10s but the idea of two separate cabs appeals to me for a lot of reasons. I already own the Powerhouse 1x15 so getting the Powerhouse 2x10 to add to it will be a simple solution. Any help is appreciated, thank you. =)

2. As you already have the Powerhouse 1x15 then a second would be the best way for you to go.

3. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    The 2x10 over 1x15 cab combo mismatch is one of the few that I think can sound good - assuming they are both 8 ohm cabs and are rated at roughly the same power.

iualum and Sartori like this.
  4. aikido307

May 26, 2008
    AZ and Southern CA
    See I used the Mesa Powerhouse 2x15 in the past and i did not really like it. Is there any reason why the 2x10 would not work? Are 2 separate 15s different from the 2 15s in a one cab?

5. aikido307

May 26, 2008
    AZ and Southern CA
    They are both 8 ohms and they both take 400 watts rms.

6. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Cool :) .

7. aikido307

May 26, 2008
    AZ and Southern CA
    Did you have any direct experience with these two cabs or have you used a different brand 2x10/1x15 together?

8. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Different ones. If you're looking for the majority to tell you it's OK forget it.

9. aikido307

May 26, 2008
    AZ and Southern CA
    LOL ya i know Talkbass is extremely opposed to mixing different speaker sizes. I am just looking for people who use this combo or have used it and how it worked for them is all. Just opinions more or less. Direct experience with these two cabs is a huge plus of course. If i get the 2x10 i have to order it and since i live out in BFE i have no chance to go try out the combo somewhere first before i order it. So i turn to the old internet to see if i can get some info. =)

madjazzbass likes this.
  10. The comb filtering police will be along shortly.

11. aikido307

May 26, 2008
    AZ and Southern CA
    Yikes. Sounds complicated lol.

12. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    You'll never know what it sounds like unless you try it ;) .

/\/\3phist0 and Downunderwonder like this.
  13. A brand matched set has nearly as good a chance of mildly sucking as randoms.

My motley 1x15 2x10 combination does fine, matched identical cabs would be better, proven by biamping my cabs and gaining clarity.

Odds are the Mesa pairing will sound good to you.

Be aware that up close you predominately hear the top cab rather than the blend that is heard in the room.

natw42 likes this.
  14. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    what that means is you don't like 15s so much; your best bet would be to ditch the 1x15 cab and just run a matched pair of 10s cabs.

/\/\3phist0, rodl2005 and aikido307 like this.
  15. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Or since he already has the 1x15 he could just go ahead and get the 2x10 and if not happy with that combo some day sell the 1x15 and get another 2x10 :) .

16. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    Sure; like I've said elsewhere, a mixed stack with one cab you like probably beats a matched stack of cabs you don't.

17. Why would you get the PH115 if you already tried the 215 version and didn't like it?

iualum likes this.
  18. aikido307

May 26, 2008
    AZ and Southern CA
    I had the PH115 first and used it mainly at home. I loved the sound of it so later on I ran into a great deal on a used PH215 cab and was looking for a bigger cab for shows so I grabbed it and giged with it for about 9 months. It was ok but it did not work well for me onstage with my music. Traded it for a back up amp and a decent beater 4x10 for the short term. I Listed my back up head for sale now because I do not need it anymore. So instead of listing my 1x15 for sale and the beater 4x10 also and cleaning house on gear and hope it all sells quickly to start over I am hoping I can sell just the backup head and have enough to throw a 2x10 with my 15 and see if that would work for me. So I came here to ask for the experiences and opinions of people who use or have used the 2x10 1x15 stack because I have never done it. While waiting for things to sell I figured I would collect as much info as I can to make a faster decision when it's time. =)

madjazzbass likes this.
  19. Ah, I see.

My old rig was a 1x15/2x10 combo. Not with Mesa cabs, though. Sold the 2x10 when I got my 2x15.

20. aikido307

May 26, 2008
    AZ and Southern CA
    Ya the Mesa 2x15 was a awesome cab, honestly one of the best 2x15s i had heard. But it just didn't work well with my bands music in my opinion and it was a beast of a cab lol. The two smaller separate cabs will also be easier to haul around when we hit the road in September too. We are not at the riding around in a tour bus stage of our music career lol. I may have a 4x10 option also but that depends heavily on if i want to sell more things or not.