1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa Boogie Powerhouse 412 vs Aguilar DB 412

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Manuel53R, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Manuel53R

Manuel53R

Sep 14, 2017
    Houston, TX
    Last weekend I borrowed a powerhouse 412 from a friend. First time we were jamming together and they had that cab sitting in their jam space. The cab I own is an Ampeg 810 Heritage which I love.

Well, the sound of this new band demands a different sound from me, so I started using distortion 100% of the time on my bass. When I heard what came out of that Powerhouse, it blew me away. It sounded AWESOME!!!!!... that very moment I decided I needed that cab in my life. I had the same eq in my amp (Ampeg SVT 4 pro, with a RBI preamp and b7ku2 as distortion), only thing that changed was the cab.

Got home and started looking into getting one of these cabs and I found out it's discontinued!!!. Seems like a very hard to find cab also, so I started looking into what other options could give me that sound and found a very similar cab, the Aguilar DB412 which have also four 12" speakers and a horn and a similar speaker configuration. it's also ported which I'm not sure if the Mesa boogie cab is.

I'm gonna keep looking for the powerhouse, but I was wondering if anybody has experience with that Aguilar cab and playing with distortion specifically.

Also, if you are selling a powerhouse 412 I'm interested. Hit me up!

2. Bassdirty

Bassdirty Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    If you planned on making do with the 1 cab, how about using 2 212 cabs?
    That way you could run 1 of them for "smaller" situations, plus running 2 at 8 ohms each would let you run your amp at 4 ohms ..usin more power. :) (of course Im just assuming your amp is safe at 4 ohms.)

3. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    No surprise there that it blew you away. :D

Yes the Mesa 412 is ported. All the regular Powerhouse cabs are.

They do pop up, just have to keep an eye out.

Manuel53R likes this.
  4. Manuel53R

Manuel53R

Sep 14, 2017
    Houston, TX
    Believe it or not, it's easier for me to move a cab like this around than two smaller cabs. My bad back likes wheels and handles on cabs lol

5. Manuel53R

Manuel53R

Sep 14, 2017
    Houston, TX
    the hunt is on!!!!

6. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
    Honestly if there was one near my area for sale at a reasonable price I'd probably sell a lot of gear to get one. There's just not that many out there. I would also say that the Aguilar cab probably isn't anything like what you played through.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 4, 2020