Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa boogie powerhouse 4x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman60, Jul 4, 2002.

1. bassman60

bassman60

Jun 5, 2001
    I have finally found the cab that has the sound I want!! The mesa powerhouse 410 has just the right amount of power handling and warmth that I am looking for. It costs the same as the SWR 410 and sounds so much better to my ears. I am going to purchase this cab from my local music store as soon as I get paid this Friday. Mesa you rock!!

2. Really the one I demoed sounded like crapola. My avatar is better. Now their 15 was fantastic as was the powerhouse 1000. the 410 just didn't do it for me at all.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Never liked Mesa cabs. Quite a while back, I was really attracted to the M-2000 head, because of all the cool knobs and switches. I played one through some Mesa cabs, and just never could get a respectable tone out of either side (tube or ss). I wish I could have played that head through some Eden cabs, or even SWR. No, I'm going to have to assign the Mesa cabs to the "blow" category. Sorry.

4. slacker

slacker

Nov 27, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    Please clarify. Are you talking about the *New* Powerhouse series? Or the old E.V. loaded cabinets?

I really don't like the newer (silver grill) Powerhouse cabinets. I might also tend to put them in the "blows" catagory.

What *really* sucks are the older E.V. loaded Road Ready cabinets! Man what a "blow" fest! These really suck! In fact if you see one, please tell me of its price and location immediatly, that I might spare you the horrible experience of playing through one!

Remember, Road Ready Mesa cabinets suck and all information on there whereabouts should be sent to me, straight away!

5. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    hahahaha!

rrriiiight....the older road ready mesa cabs really "suck". that must be the first time i have ever heard that before.

6. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    Rialto,CA
    I will have to admit that the mesa cabs arent the greatest buttery tone ever, but one thing they really shine at is cutting through the mix in live situations. I have a powerhouse 1000 and it cuts better than the goliath 3 and big ben that I was using before. I wouldn't want to record with one, though. Saying they suck might be a bit extreme; they do have their uses. In live situations(especially in very large rooms and outdoors) it spanks on just about anything I've tried(and I've gone through quite a few rigs) I haven't ever tried the 4x10 though so I can't really say anything good or bad about it. My guitarist uses a 4x12 rec cab, and like my bass cab, it cuts through the mix like a champ, but just has a crap tone for recording. We both record direct out from our heads.

edit: I just thought of a good way to describe the tone- harsh but seriously ballsy- good for live but bad for studio. In the words of my guitarist: "It bumps". Anyways, back to work:)

7. You two are on glue. EV-loaded Mesa cabs are the absolute finest i have ever played through. Eden cabs sound squishy and soft compared to the deep and fundamnetal punch of an EV built directly into a road case. The stiff walls and powerful punch of the EV's are incomparable to an Eden cab; Sorry. The fact they they are butt-heavy is another issue as are any comparisons to the Diesel or newer Powerhouse series. I am not a big fan of the newer stuff either.
    I have gigged out over my 18 years of live experiance with Mesa, Eden, SWR, Ampeg...Traynor and Peavey. In a side by side comparison with my Mesa EV-loaded RR1x15, Eden D212XLT and D210XLT I was very surprised at how much more punch the Mesa had over both these cabs. The Edens just sounded slushy. The 2x10 is brand new as well. That a Mesa 15" would have more "punch" than an Eden 2x10 speaks volumes......IMO!

8. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    maybe you should read slacker's post again-- ;)

9. slacker

slacker

Nov 27, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    Ummm...

Perhaps you didn't notice the tiny bit of sarcasm, Mad Subwoofer. Or the fact that I was asking for the price and location of the of older Mesa Road Ready cabinets so that I might purchase one or two, get it? Or the fact that I have owned and sold (stupid fool that I am) a couple of Mesa cabinets. Check out my profile (Mesa, Mesa, Mesa!). I was planning on buying a Mesa Powerhouse 1000 (old style), but they went to the new design, wich I don't like as well (I think the sound like your description of Eden cabs). I gave up on finding any Mesa bottoms new/used close enough to me to ship, copped out and bought an SVT bottom. Still waiting for a Mesa/Boogie 4x10, 2x15 or Powerhouse 1000 to fall into my lap.

I was poking a little fun a precog and Mujis's posts.

I knew I shoulda' used one o' them little emoticon thingies.

-Pete

10. slacker

slacker

Nov 27, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    Oh, Mad Subwoofer, I *am* on glue. And that comment really hurts! ;)

(Emoticon added to signify humourous intent!)

11. No prob...I have gone through many a tube of Testors myself! Just watch out on those elaborate paint jobs or everyone will know....

12. bassman60

bassman60

Jun 5, 2001
    Yes it was a new mesa powerhouse 410 and I really did not hear what you guys were talking about. I have tried Eden, SWR, and Ampeg, and now Mesa, and Mesa was what sounded the best to me. What do you guys have against the new Mesa stuff?? Man I'm just not hearing it, it sounds almost too good to be true to me. Anyways, I'll probably add a Powerhouse 15 later and power it all with an Ampeg preamp and a Carvin power amp, throw a power conditioner in there and that will be my rig. What do you guys think??

13. I don't think Mesa would put out a cheap product. When I did my factory tour last month they said that "due to consumer demand" they had styled the new cabs more on an "Eden model". Guess Munji's posts really had an affect on them or something....(!) Seriously tho', they mentioned the newer cabs having more of that nineties "scooped tone" the older cabs having more of a mid-rich emphasis. Make of that what you will.

14. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    I haven't played through the new Mesa cabs,but I can tell you that the older RR cabs have a distinct punch that other cabs I've used (Eden,SWR,Bergantino) don't have. They are great cabs, but I don't really dig a "scooped" sound. I prefer a cab with a warm low-mid presence. It just sounds fuller to my ears. The older (5 years + ) RR Mesa's that I have are able to cut through a wall-of-band with no problem. It seems that with the other cabs, I had to EQ the heck out of the low-mids to get them to punch through. All of this IMO,your mileage may vary.....

15. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The best 410 cab I've used to date is an older Mesa Boogie Road Ready 410. It blows away the Eden D410XLT, for example. I owned both and sold the nasally Eden and kept the fat, punchy Mesa. As to the RR line, it's my personal fave and I'd never play anything else if I didn't have a bad back. Can't load 'em these days, unfortunately.

BTW, you'll note that most negative comments about Mesa cabs are from guys who've dinked around with them a bit in stores. Players who've gigged with them invariably rave about 'em. Interesting.

16. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Yeah, they "cut through the mix" like a gargantuan flatus cuts through my trousers.

17. bassman60

bassman60

Jun 5, 2001
    Munji, um, not wanting to start a fight or anything, but what brands of cabs do you like? (besides Eden???)

18. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Besides Eden? EA sounds good. SWR is fine. I actually like the high-end Hartkes, too. I've never heard a Bergantino, but I bet I'd like 'em. Who's that Jones guy? Maybe some of them. Everything else pretty much blows, I guess.

BTW, I thought my "flatus" simile was pretty entertaining.

19. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    BTW, I thought my "flatus" simile was pretty entertaining. [/B][/QUOTE]

I thought it was funny if that means anything:eek:

Do like I do and just take Mungi's opinion of "it sucks" like you would when a normal person says " that's not for me, but you may like it and that is fine":D

I have a Mesa Diesel 2x10 and 1x15 and to me they are perfect........portable and have a great deep powerful tone. I've never been happier.

By the way I think Eden and SWR "fellate"....
    :rolleyes:

20. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    incubus ~

That's a very close translation. Some of the less hip in here think that if I say it, they have to believe it. Then they get all upset for no reason.