Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassisgood, Jan 2, 2006.

1. bassisgood

Dec 19, 2005
    Hello, does anyone own a mesa pulse series head and find that the input jacks fail every couple of months, they are made of plastic and I have to replace them often, it has two input jacks passive and active and when one goes out I can always use the other with a sound compromise, These are very expensive amps and I choose mesa over ampegs svt 3 pro with a $600.00 more price difference on the mesa. I contacted mesa and they didnt even want a reciept and anything and sent tubes, jacks, and shirts and gave me instuctions on the repair. This lasts for about 3-4 months then it ends up failing again, and when they fail(the input jacks) they squeal like hell!! No I dont run a 10 foot cord and pull on the fn thing I take very good care of it. For this reason I am thinking these amps are crap and anyone that likes amps that fail especially on stage get one of these models of mesa. My old ross rb-60 still works fine with 17 years under its belt at 1/8 the cost. The sound of the mesa is my kinda sound but the reliablity sucks!! The customer service from mesa is great, but does that matter with plasitc input jacks how many would you replace b4 trading for a ampeg. Maybe a reason why ampeg dominates? Even if you have to turn and press the ultra high/low during a performance to change sounds, and every one and there dog has the same rig, svt classic with svt 810.
    What would you guys do? This amp was at $2300.00 bought new in 02 failed 03 twice, 04 once and now again in 05, jan 06 still the active side is not working but i gave up and plugged into the passive input when it quits it will be a door stop.
  2. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I have used my M-Pulse 600 on gigs regularly for the last two years and have never had a problem. I have active and passive basses, so I use both input jacks. What kind of cables are you using? Do you use something like Planet Waves that have those expanding "prongs" ? I have not heard of this problem before.

BTW, where are you located? $2300 (USD) seems pretty high for a Mesa.
  3. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    My mesa seems solid as a rock to me. I've been bringing it up and down the country for the past few months and it hasn't failed. Although its early days yet. But I feel that it would hold up to the test of time.

It seems to me that input jacks would have to be plastic because they would probably cause a short if they were not made of insulating material. (since the body is made from aluminium and steel) I could be wrong.

Where exactly did the failure occur on the input jack? was it a connection or did it snap or.....
  4. bassisgood

Dec 19, 2005
    2300 canadain. And the faliure I dont know they dont snap or anything, but when you install a new jack onto the board it works fine untill it fails again. I emailed MESA on what to do and they offer no response as of two weeks! I would say they are crap. I am getting rid of it for anything. Even a yorkville or peavey tk solid state is better at least they work 100% of the time! Did I get a dud? How come you guys have no problems? I use all sorts of cables I tried 3-4 different ones all expensive cables all same results. You should hear this damn thing when it fails it blows everyone off the stage plus the whole club does the look in discust! A squeel from a mic would be a pleasure to the ears then this jack failing, its like the highest possible note known to the human ear sensory range at a volume of a jet taking off. In a nutshell ITS ****!!
  5. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    May I suggest contacting Mesa by telephone? I believe it states somewhere on their web site that they feel e-mail is "unreliable" or something to that effect. They actually prefer that you call them. You may end up just leaving a voice message, but they will definitely call you back. I have called them a few times and they have always called me back. I believe most Mesa owners here would attest to the fact that they have excellent customer service.
    Good luck!
  6. bassisgood

Dec 19, 2005
    I leave my mesa pulse 360 bass rig the 5k complete rig in the bassment and use a old all tube traynor amp that works all the time. I cant sell the mesa because I dont want to take the loss but its to fragile to leave the house. I was really into mesa untill they proved to be a POS. I was bragging to my friends about them and tring to convince them to buy mesa. Now I convince them to buy anything BUT MESA BOOGER!!
  7. faivy

Nov 23, 2004
    I'm in Montreal bought my MPulse 360 for 1K Cad (in Montreal) used.I gig with it roughly 2-3 times a month with no issues. I carry it around in a Rack Bag and I mostly use the passive input but I love the sound of the amp and have had no reliability issues at all
  8. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I've had zero issues with my 600, and its one of the best built heads I've ever seen.

Call Mesa.
  9. fishstix

Feb 28, 2006
    Are you using Monster cables? If so, they may be the culprit. I've had them ruin many input jacks due to an over size issue.
    Good luck.
    If you're into high end cables like Monster, try Mogami. I've had no issues with them.
  10. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Maybe your repair job is at fault. Get someone to do it who knows what they're doing. At the same time have him look over the amp to see if there is something else wrong. Also have him check the instrument cables you use.

I've never had a problem with a Mesa Boogie.