1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa Boogie question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 64jazzbass, Jun 13, 2012.

1. 64jazzbass

64jazzbass

Sep 5, 2002
    Chicago, Il
    Has anyone tried the Walkabout head into the vintage Powerhouse 15" 4ohm cab? How does it perform as a standalone for medium sized rooms? Is there enough juice for the 600 watt speaker? I did a couple searches but didn't find this particular set up described. Thanks for any input!

2. NOTE: There is no such thing as under powering a cab - that's a myth.

3. 64jazzbass

64jazzbass

Sep 5, 2002
    Chicago, Il
    I've read that the Walkabout head is a little underpowered for larger gigs. I know that more speakers would help but I'm trying to find a single speaker solution that will cover my needs with this head. So, to simplify, does this combination have enough volume without PA support for medium sized rooms (100/200 people)?

4. Thats interesting because I was having problems with an eden 115xlt I just bought and thought maybe I was underpowering it at the moment (125watts). There were a couple of tbers that said I could be underpowering it, but you say its not possible........ Could you please explain your reasoning?, for my own education.......:meh:

5. Dan55

Dan55

Apr 26, 2006
    Atlanta
    WA w/ a PH115 will work fine for those medium size gigs. I've run mine in the past through a PH212 and now through an SVT410HE and I can't say I'd ever call the WA underpowered.

Dan

6. For example - http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/a...overunderpowercabs-diy-techtalk-links-166225/
    Scroll down the page to “Over/Underpowering Cabs” and etc.

7. Yes. The combination of the two won’t be blistering loud but if your band isen't super loud it should be plenty loud enough.

8. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    What is your genre and how much presence do you like to have in the mix? Seems a little light to me if you are doing rock/metal.

9. PS -also, I’d go with an 8 ohm PH115 cab instead of 4 ohms - that way, if you need more volume (SPL) later for larger gigs all you have to do is add a second vertically stacked 8 ohm PH115.

10. I don't believe you will find any single 15" speaker that can handle 600 watts of bass frequencies by the way. The efficiency of the speaker and the box it is loaded in will determine if it will be loud enough.

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 and with ANY small 1 spkr cab, choosing the 8 ohm version is the only sane thing to do. A 4 ohm cab limits the rig to that 1 cab only. A single 15 would never be enough for my Walkabout rig. 2 12's is usually sufficient.

12. 64jazzbass

64jazzbass

Sep 5, 2002
    Chicago, Il
    Thanks for the input so far Still wondering if anyone has any real world experience with this rig. Playing mostly blues, rock, jazz fusion, and a little country too. Small to medium rooms.

13. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    used my WA through a PH112, but not the 15. The PH112 worked well for the blues, jazz, fusion, funk and world music stuff that I usually do. I'm guessing the PH115 would just be a bit bigger and possibly deeper with the WA.

As you will read here, the WA has plenty of honest juice at 300w (~500w with a 2ohm load) but more drivers are going to really show the strength of this amp vs single driver cabs like the PH115.

I think Chef used his WA through 2 1x15 Mesa Road Ready cabs. Not exactly the PH series, but I'm guessing they are close. Maybe seek him out on this subject if you don't hear from anyone else.

good luck.

14. 64jazzbass

64jazzbass

Sep 5, 2002
    Chicago, Il
    Thanks. I used to gig the 400+ with two road ready 15's and loved it.

15. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I used to gig with my mesa 2x15 cab for twenty years. Yup it was awesome sounding, and still have it.
    Not long ago I picked up a newer PH212 cab, and I'm quite suprised that cab can throw out the volume and (most importantly) tone my old 215 did, and being smaller and practically 1/2 the weight.
    For blues or old-skool rock type loudness, just 1x15 for me have barely 'cut it'. While I love 15's, I never enjoyed just one speaker doing all the work.
    I'd highly recommend looking at the PH212 cab.

16. Worldeeeter

Worldeeeter Inactive

Mar 29, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    Actually, what you read may have been referring to the Walkabout Scout (1 x 12") combo. It's not meant for medium gigs, just practice and/or small, mellow (jazz, blues) gigs. At $1200, I don't consider that a great deal at all.
    The Walkabout head through a 410 cab sounds huge. The wattage, plus the headspace with that rig will be all you need. A PH115 isn't going to bring enough headspace to the gig. You need at least 2 x 12" or a 4 x 10". I have a Carbine M6, and I use it with a PH115 for practice. Even at 600W, it wouldn't be enough for the metal gigs I will play.
    In summary: more speakers!!! :bassist:

17. Worldeeeter

Worldeeeter Inactive

Mar 29, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    +1!!!
    The PH212 is one of Mesa's crowning achievements in cab design this decade. Awesome cab!!!

18. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    I own a ph115 and to me it isn't that loud no matter what I pair it with. I usually bring an Ampeg SVT4pro to pair with it. I used to bring it to smaller gigs and jam sessions where I couldn't (or didn't want to) lug one of my ph410s. I ended up buying a Genz Benz NEOX-212T that did a much better job for those purposes.
    The ph115 sounds great- no question about that- but for no PA support, I agree with some of the other posters that leaned toward a 2-12 of some sort or a 4-10.
    I also agree that for a single speaker cab like a 1-15, 8ohms is the way to go. I wouldn't buy a 4ohm cab unless I KNEW there was NO CHANCE of it getting paired with another cab EVER. And at the sound levels your wondering about, I don't think you'd hear much difference between the 4ohm and the 8ohm anyway.
    Good luck.

Here's a pic of the Genz Benz in the same photo as the Mesa so you can see a size comparison (btw the Genz Benz only weighs about 50 lbs)

Attached Files: