mesa boogie roadready cabs...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thetaurus, Jan 13, 2003.

1. thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    anyone know anything about them, or have any experience with them? i saw on their website that they're making them again, but there aren't any pictures...only for the powerhouse cabs. any idea where to get them and how much they run new? i'm thinking of checking them out instead of the avatar's. depends if i can afford it though. let me know. thanks
  2. Well they used to run about $200 more than the same cab in the powerhouse version. The way Boogie is you will pay full retail for their stuff and they are very picky about who can carry it. If you find a place willing to give you a "deal" on boogie beware that they are not an authorized dealer because if an authorized dealer is caught doing that their dealership with boogie gets yanked.
  3. I have never had the RR cabs but I have several of the Diesel cabs and all with EV speakers which you can't get any longer. I had my "extra" 400+ for sale and just sold it last week. I now have one 2x10 cab and one 1x15 cab in perfect condition if your interested. $325.00 each you pay shipping.

Any way most Mesa user say the RR cabs sound better because of the heavier design, but the word heavy really is right about those cabs. Mine are much lighter and sound great. I just have too much gear. I am keeping my original 400+ and one of the 1x15 forever.
  4. mesa RR cabs are the best cabs on the planet....they do sound better than the diesel or powerhouse(vinyl covered)due to the extra heavy construction,and on a loud stage or rehearsal room this is especially true..I'll put my mesa RR cabs up against any other cab out there...including the 8x10 svt and any "botique" or "hi-fi" cab. RR cabs will be louder,you can drive them harder and they'll do it longer because they are the toughest cabs on the market. as far as the weight issue goes,they are a little heavier than most other cabs,...but they weigh less than any regular cab in a road case.(just asy anyone who has a 8x10 in a road case) I have a RR2x15 and a RR2x10,had them for years, and I'll always have them. for me there is no other choice,RR is the only cabs I'll buy..they're worth every penny of what you pay,and sometimes you can find a good deal on the used market and save a little cash...
  5. Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    My only complaint with my early RR 2x15 is that it's too freaking bright. I mean ear-piercingly glass-shattering bright. You'd never think a fifteen could produce the amount of high-end that these EV's do...

And rekesbass, I have a '76 Ampeg 8x10 and it is quite a bit louder than my RR 2x15.
  6. rickenbackerman.....a 2x15 thats bright??? that is far as the volume issue goes,I find it real hard to believe that the svt is louder..equal yes, louder??(of course yours is older,and we all know older is better when it comes to svt's) I know that a box with more drivers is supposed to be louder, but every svt owner(all newer svt's) I know says that my cab just about lowers their sperm count and makes their bowels wanna move..:eek: maybe in a near feild monitor situation,(thats why I have the 2x10,so I can hear) but 20 feet back...look I'm not slammin the svt in any way,those cabs are great..actually thought about getting one to pair up with my fact I think Boogie now makes a RR 8x10,that must be brutal..... I have no reason to doubt you on this because I never heard a 70's era(real) svt.(from what I heard,they're the $h!t)..but if you say so....
  7. Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Yeah, it's not like the 810 completely obliterates it in terms of volume, but it IS louder. The fact that I had all the speakers reconed by Ted Weber (the King speaker guru) probably doesn't hurt, either. :D

Your RR 2x15 isn't bright? Does yours have the EVM15L speakers? There's apparently a big difference between the 15L and the 15B - the 'L' is supposedly a lot brighter...
  8. ya know, I just had one of my EV's re-coned about a year and a half ago and for the life of me I can't remember if it's a "L" or a "B"...but I know it's not ear shattering bright. I get respectable hi's from it but not overly bright...another reason I run a 2x10 cab..although I turn the tweeter off,it's a little too sizzily for me,but I just love those cabs...maybe I'm a little biased because they(RR's)have been sooooo good to me:D BTW do you own a 70's SVT head too? I saw one on ebay not too long ago,but the money thing kept me from snagging it up(my financial timing sucks) I would love one..heard one once,(don't remember what cab it was played thru,but it was not the 8x10svt) it was awsome..
  9. Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    If your cab isn't overly bright, I'd bet you have the 'B' series EVs... I'd like to get ahold of a pair of those to A/B with the 'L's. I'm running my Sound City 200+ (converted into a Hiwatt) into it, and even with the treble and presence knobs at 0, I still have to back the tone knob on my P-bass off to keep it from getting too twangy. Bright? Yup.

Yeah, I have a '73 SVT head too. It's my baby and will be buried with me when I die. :D I'm on the lookout for more, though - I'd like to end up with two heads and two cabs. Or more.
  10. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    I've had this 2x10" (EV-elements) for a while, bought it used... can someone tell me which type it is?

11. Just wanted to underscore that....very true.
  12. erik ll, I've never saw one like that(carpet covered) long have you had it?...I'm thinking it's a real old one, like before they started using vinyl products...hows it sound???.........................rickenbacker man, why would you want to bury your amp with you when you die?,and deprive a future bassist of makin such wonderous,thunderous music?:D ...BTW, a friend of mine used to have an old Sound City rig,still does I think..I remember that thing sounding pretty good...that was a long time ago.........your RR cab must be pretty old..I never heard a RR 2x15 cab with the extra hi's like your getting...I bought mine used back in 1989'-90',and I think it was only a year or two old at the time...maybe Boggie changed drivers sometime before mine was made:confused:
  13. Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Yeah, I think mine is one of the first made - it has a diamond-shaped grill instead of the usual square pattern, and the pop-out front cover before they used the latches. Never seen one like that except mine. It's also mint - hardly been used! I have the original invoice for it; I'll check out the paperwork tonite...
  14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I had an RR 2x10 and switched to a Diesel because of the weight. Turns out I sacrificed a little bit of tone to lose a little bit of weight (both were EV-loaded).

Anyway... for awhile I ran an RR 2x10 over an RR 1x18 (also EV). Tone was indeed excellent, but the RR cabs are brutally heavy.
  15. slacker

Nov 27, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    I have owned both the Ampeg 8x10 and Mesa RR cabinets, back to back. The 8x10 is easily louder.

Rickenbackerman, I have also owned an 80's Boogie 2x15. I used this cabinet for a few years, and never yearned for more highs.

Also, double check the 10" speakers in many of your Mesa/Boogie cabinets, for many years they were *not* EV's, but Eden's. Check for the sloppy glue on the dust cap, this usually indicates Eden drivers.

Anyone seeing a RR 4x10, feel free to drop me a line!
  16. SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    I had the RR 1516B cab for a while..The thing is great! The only downside to any of the RR cabs is the weight. I actually had to have eye surgery because of lifting these things. If you can handle the weight, i'd go for it! If you can find a used one with the EV's then you're golden..

17. Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
  18. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    i bet a 2x15 RR cab would sound deadly with:
    1 each EVM-15L and 1 each EVM-15B.. anyone ever try this speaker config?
  19. stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    how heavy is the RR 2x15?
  20. SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    I dont know about the RR215, but my RR1516B weighed in at over 150lbs...I had to Freighline it out to the buyer because it was too heavy for UPS!