Mesa/Boogie Rosette combo

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Wild Rice Chris, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Wild Rice Chris

Wild Rice Chris

May 7, 2005
    Palatine, IL
    Rice Custom Guitars, Inc
    Mine showed up this afternoon. First impressions with various instruments are very favorable. I have a rehearsal tonight (rock/pop covers) and will try it with my upright. I record rehearsals and will post a bass track from the di.

MTN.bass72 likes this.
  2. Wild Rice Chris

Wild Rice Chris

May 7, 2005
    Palatine, IL
    Rice Custom Guitars, Inc
    @agedhorse
    Any tips for starting points with a bass?

3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Hints... start flat, switch phase and see which position feels tighter. Then roll the HPF frequency up until you don't like the effect and back it up a bit. Then review the section and hints in the eq section of the manual.

This should get you pretty close.

If it feels too dry, add a small amount of room reverb, start with a shorter time and gradually lengthen. A little goes a long way with bass.

4. Wild Rice Chris

Wild Rice Chris

May 7, 2005
    Palatine, IL
    Rice Custom Guitars, Inc
    Thanks, that's pretty close to where I was. I had zero setup time, so it was set for where I liked my ukulele bass; slight cuts in the mids and treble, HPF at 9:00, minimal reverb.

This is my Shen SB-200 with K&K Bass Max direct in to the Rosette, post EQ straight into a Tascam DP-32SD. No reverb/compression/EQ on the recorder. Normalized the levels in Audacity and cut together a sample of every song we did. I'm getting a little bleed across channels, but that's not the Mesa

Dropbox - Mesa Rosette.mp3
    Outside Woman Blues
    Stormy Monday
    Six Days on the Road
    Superstitious
    Satisfaction
    Talkin' in Your Sleep

If I'd had some setup time, I would have used my other bass with a Full Circle. It amplifies better than the Shen, with clearer low mids and sweeter trebles. Afterwards, one of the guitarists tweaked the amp while I was playing (using the speakers this time), and ended up with a low mid dip to tame a resonance in my instrument. Otherwise, pretty close to the same settings.

DeZombre likes this.
  5. Wild Rice Chris

Wild Rice Chris

May 7, 2005
    Palatine, IL
    Rice Custom Guitars, Inc
    Quite diminutive.

Attached Files:

agedhorse likes this.
  6. Wild Rice Chris

Wild Rice Chris

May 7, 2005
    Palatine, IL
    Rice Custom Guitars, Inc
    I've gigged it now with double bass mic'd, double bass pickup'd, acoustic guitar with pickup, and electric guitar with a Tech21 FlyRig. As well as referrals on electric bass. I've been very satisfied, and plan on writing some in depth stuff when I have the chance.

I'd love to hear a suggestion on pulling a similar voicing to the D800 Subway with flat eq and voicing at 9:00. If that doesn't reveal too much propriety information, @agedhorse.

MTN.bass72 likes this.
  7. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    With that shallow of a voicing, I would expect maybe a couple dB of cut on the low mids around 400-600Hz, a dB cut at about 800-1000Hz on the high mid as a starting point, a dB boost on the bass eq and that will be closer (though not exactly the same as the filter Q's within the voicing are different.

Please share your experiences.

Wild Rice Chris likes this.
  8. Wild Rice Chris

Wild Rice Chris

May 7, 2005
    Palatine, IL
    Rice Custom Guitars, Inc
    Thanks. I think that's really close to where I was happiest on electric bass, though I'm away from the amp for the next week and can't confirm.

Using double bass with a Shure Beta 87A was the happiest I've been on a low volume gig, maybe ever. I bought the mic on a whim for my wife's flute (need to try THAT through the Rosette!), and decided to give it a go on the bass mounted on my H-Clamp. I aimed it between the bridge and f-hole, just south of the bridge. Small cuts on the mids, I think the tweeter was attenuated. I brought the HPF up until it felt good. I havent' played the amp since the gig, so I'll check the settings next week.

Just competing with grand piano, acoustic drums, and vocalists (soloists, duet, soloist with choir). Blended beautifully acoustically, and it felt like playing acoustically rather than having an amplified sound blowing past me. This drummer likes the bass loud, and I'm always trying to keep him happy without blowing out the room (church sanctuary, seats about 600). Direct out to the board with ears back there I trust telling me it is the best I've sounded in that room (they've been hiring me on various instruments here for over a decade).

Oh yeah, bass was a Shen SB200 with D'Addario Kaplan strings. All pizz, selections from Carousel. Very traditional playing, going for a classic blend.

9. rickwolff

rickwolff CGJ (Certified Gear Junkie) Supporting Member

Color me intrigued. An 'acoustic' amp used for DB? @agedhorse what are the Freq specs on this box?

Steve Boisen likes this.
  10. rickwolff

OK, I hadn't read the ENTIRE owners manual yet so I had missed this:

The ROSETTE™ line is a dedicated acoustic instrument platform designed not just for acoustic guitars, but also for mandolin, ukulele, violin/fiddle, dulcimer, cello, upright bass and other uniquely acoustic instruments.

Where can I get one in that beautiful wood case. I think I'm in love. (and, no, that's not the Rosette, I just haven't gotten a picture of that yet).

Mesa Boogie-AmberFlamePremierMaple-WickerGrille.

11. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I'd like to learn more about this amplifier as well. My Markacoustic AC 101 is also an acoustic amp designed for a variety of instruments ("all acoustic instruments including acoustic bass, acoustic guitar, mandolin, violin, cello, banjo, etc.") and I think it sounds more natural than a dedicated bass amp.

- Steve

12. rickwolff

Please, Santa.

Attached Files:

13. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

Is it carved, plywood, or a hybrid? Make sure you ask - there must be timbrel differences.
    Also - I don't see you waiting 4 months for this!
    Just sayin'.
    (Let us know how this amp sounds, ASAP - CGJ!)
    Thanks.

rickwolff likes this.
  14. rickwolff

How it SOUNDS????

What's Sound got to do, got to do with it?
    Sound's nothing but a second hand emotion.

It's Carved (solid). So I'm sure it sounds better!

Also, if I get it in the Amber Maple it will match my bass!

Mesa Large Pic-AmberFlamePremierMaple-WickerGrille-HQ. JazzBass License Plate 003.

15. Don Kasper

1. A rarely seen Tina Turner reference here at TB/DB.
    2. I think Miles Davis once said to a critic - "Who cares how I sound - How did I LOOK?" You're in good company.
    Thanks.

16. rickwolff

I LOVE that. I think I'd like to steal that as my new motto. In fact I'm going to change my TB listing NOW.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    Don Kasper likes this.
  17. rickwolff

And There It Is, in my signature line: "Who cares how I sound - How did I LOOK?"

Reminds me of what my first teacher, the wonderful Fritz Scheurer of the Minneapolis Symphony, told me at one of my first lessons:

"Well, you LOOK like a bassist. Now we just have to get you to sound like one".

You really can't make this stuff up. Truth IS stranger than fiction, and yes, he really did say that.

Ric Vice and Don Kasper like this.
  18. Don Kasper

I left this (DIY, cabinet-grade plywood) Baltic Birch cabinet uncovered - NO RatFur for me.
    Real Wood is Real Purty! IMO.
    Thanks.
    IMG_2978.JPG

19. rickwolff

Yes Sir!! That is indeed Purty. I'll have to talk with Mesa to see if they'd send me one unfinished (though I doubt it would be 'cabinet grade' ply. I just check on the Hollywood Store website. The custom amp in the stained maple is OVER $2300 BUCKS. OUCH !!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's more for the custome cabinet than the whole amp. Maybe I should just stick with my rather nice 'Frankenamp' (Thanks to Jeff Kissel for the name).
    GenzBenz AI Hybrid.

Ric Vice and Don Kasper like this.
  20. The "frankenamp" actually looks hipper, to me.

rickwolff likes this.