Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa Boogie RR 1x15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stevekim, Jun 30, 2002.

1. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    i just picked up a mesa boogie road ready 1x15 with an electro voice 15L speaker in it. i am *very* impressed. it sounds very full and very deep without the least bit of mud. the trak lock casters are incredible. they are by far the smoothest set of casters i've ever used. i feel like i'm driving an SUV when rolling this thing across rough asphalt. the 1x15 is heavy but it's really not that bad. i've heard that it is the lightest of all the road ready cabs. the tone is very balanced. with my swr sm-400s set flat and the aural enhancer up half way, the lows, the mids, and the highs all seem in perfect balance with each other. i can't imagine what two of these things would do!

-steve

2. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    congrats on the new cab.

i was sold on a RR4x10.. then they stopped making them ( ? ) and i havent seen one since. great cabs. sound awesome and are built like tanks. bit heavy but definately worth it.

3. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Glad you like the cab! I've been playing an m-2000 through a RR 2x10 and 4x10 for years and still love them (and the amp!). Heavy,but they'll last forever

4. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    how heavy would you say the RR 2x10 is? mesa never did publish weight specs for these cabs did they?

-s

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    A close friend recently got an RR15 (on my recommendation) to go with her AMP BH-420 head. It had the cast frame EVM driver. People are shocked at the full range sound and volume of that combination, especially the high end of a 15 with no tweeter.

6. I have owned both the EV-loaded RR 1x15 and the EV-loaded RR 2x10. just so you know...the 2x10 is almost exactly TWICE the weight of the 1x15. The EV cabs have the same magnet, hence the weight. Sounds absolutely *stellar* BTW. I found the RR 1x15 to be very managable and those wheels are so blissful that I even bought a brand new set for my new EB-MM 2x12 cabs. Best setup ever? My 400+ or even my current M2000 through both RR cabs. Something to be said for staying with a single manufacturer when combining gear.

7. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    wow, that's pretty crazy. twice the weight for the 2x10, huh? i think i'll shoot for the two 1x15 setup then! :)

the road ready cabs are really the way to go, though. i had a diesel 1x15 that didn't sound nearly as solid as this RR 1x15 does. i'm sure the stiffer walls have something to do with this.

-steve

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    People are usually amazed when they pick up a RR15 and feel how light it is.

9. While I never had a paticularily deep sound from my EVL 15" it was one of the best cabs I ever played through. Tight, punchy with loads of clear mids. A great stand-alone. I thought it was really light? That was after huffing that 100+ lbs. 2x10 tho'...

10. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    The 2x10 RR is definitely on the hernia side,but not as bad as the RR 4x10 ...but in my opinion,the sound you get from it is worth it.I just replaced the drivers in it with 2 eminence 300 watters and the thing screams as a stand-alone. the 4x10 RR,on the other hand sounds GREAT but is a trip to the emergency room every time you pick it up :eek: thank God for casters....