Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa Boogie Scout 15" vs 12" (vs iamp 800 combo)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tubster, Sep 19, 2004.

1. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    Anyone have

1. a chance to try a Scout 15" ?
    2. a comparison against the 12" ?
    3. see how either performs against EA iamp 800 combo?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

T

2. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    The 12 is loud and sounds killer. I have not seen a 15 in person. It is easy to carry and gets a beautiful growl and grind with my Jazz. I still can't believe the tone from this amp. It sounds better, deeper and louder than my former 2x10, 1x15 SWR rig. Either way, Mesa has ended my amp GAS.

3. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    Thanks waxcomb - I have heard that these things are amazing and I was impressed at GC but it's good to hear what they are like on a gig.

Anyone spotted a 15"?

4. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    No Problem. I have not preached about any other gear as much as the Mesa. I use it without PA support at small gigs and it does wonders. It's easy to dial in nice tone and the controls are super sensitive, even the gain knob. Small touches on the tone knob add smooth tube goodness. I play it flat and use the controls on my active bass to custom shape the tone for each situation or song.

I think emor is getting the 15. Contact him for info, he's asked the tough questions in a couple of threads.

5. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I have the 4 ohm Scout 12" version. I use it often on gigs always with great results. I also leave EQ flat and dial up desired tone from my bass. I am very happy with this combo...plenty of volume and tone for small to med sized gigs...not recomended for outdoor venues w/o PA support...

I have not seen the 15" Scout anywhere....

6. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    I have a 15" Scout on order. They said it would be 30 to 60 days; that was about three weeks ago.

The store had a 12" combo and a 15" extension cab. I tried the 12" alone, and then unplugged the head from the 12" and into the 15" to get an idea what the 15" combo would sound like. I thought the 15" was better for my intended purposes--blues and blues/rock, no slap nor soloing--mostly just groovin' (passive J with flatwounds). E string was beefier with the 15", and there's always the possibility that I might someday get a five string.

Somebody else (don't remember who) said they preferred the 15" for the B string.

As I understand it, the 12" Scout is the standard, and the 15" is a special order.