1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa/Boogie Scout 1x12 or MarkBass 1x12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DJJazzV, Jul 18, 2007.

1. DJJazzV

DJJazzV Gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir... Supporting Member

May 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I just traded in two combos for a used Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout 1x12 combo. I guess it's the older model without the 3 way switch the new powerhouse cabs have. It was that, or a new MarkBass 1x12 combo. Just about the same price.

I played them right next to each other in the store. The Boogie seemed warmer and louder, but the MarkBass seemed a little clearer. All settings in the middle. The Boogie also appeared to handle the low B a little better. This was only from 10 minutes of playing, in a big store, so I could be a little off.
    I like the rear port on the Boogie to blast the drummer, and 2 preamp tubes sound good as well. Having no mute switch stinks, and the fan in kind of loud.

Besides the size and weight difference, which I really don't care about, does anyone think the MarkBass is the clearly better choice, or did I choose the correct combo with the Boogie?

The combo is only for basement band practices. 8 piece band though. Stage performances get the full stack, of course!

Thank you!

2. i had a walkabout 12 and traded it for the 15 sold the 15 and now i'm saving up to buy another 12 what a great amp and put an ext speaker under it and WOW !!!!! plenty of power never played an markbass but the specs sound too hi-fi for me .

3. atrapp

atrapp

Dec 4, 2006
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Walkabout Scout.

4. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    With that downfiring 10", can you stack one on top of another cab or does it work better on the floor?

5. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Different strokes.

After playing both, pick the one that meets your personal preferences better.

Also, I feel that I should add that the Mesa's mid control is a passive, boost-only control. Very different from the Markbass and even the Mesa's bass, treble, and parametric EQ.

6. Mesa, Mesa, Mesa!

Honestly, I like ballsy bass that rips the skin off if people, so I am a big time Mesa/Boogie fan!

Obviously I lean more towards hard rock...so if you want more f a cleaner hi fi sound then go with MarkBass, Eden etc...you want ballsy go with Mesa, GK, Ampeg, Aguilar.

7. DJJazzV

May 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Thank you all for your input. I won't take the Boogie to "Disco/Wedding" band practice until next Thursday, but practicing at home, it seems to be the right choice. (I recently had to leave my metal band - wife/baby issues. All kinds of crying and screaming in the house. Sometimes the baby makes noise too!)

Anyway...
    The Boogie is a much closer tone match to my stack:
    Ampeg SVP-CL>Crest CA9>Bergantino HT322 & Boogie 2x10.

Thanks again! I am really looking forward to the downfiring and rear port at next practice. The drummer should love it!

8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Remember, the downfiring part of the Scout is only a radiator, not a powered speaker.
    Also, I'd be surprised if that rear facing port actually directed sound, I think it's just to let air out as the speaker moves.
    Embly, I stack mine on top of another speaker regularly.
    It works well; I love my Walkabout Scout!

9. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Personally, I'd go Markbass.
    It's all you though! Would be nice to know what kind of music you play, what basses you own, etc...

10. DJJazzV

May 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    For the original Metal band:
    Musicman Stingray 5 HH

For the Wedding/Disco/Funk band:
    Fender Am. Dlx Jazz 5 (with new Quarter Pounders that are amazing! What an upgrade!)

Thanks.

11. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I've tried some Markbass amps/cabs (though not the combo). It was fine, but when I played a Scout for the first time (the 12), it was all over for me. I was seeking a warm tone; others might prefer the clarity of Markbass.