1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa Boogie Scout extension cabs discontinued :-(

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 4andnomore, Apr 27, 2015.

1. 4andnomore

4andnomore

Nov 14, 2008
    This was mentioned on the Walkabout mega-thread. Looks like Mesa has discontinued production of the scout extension cabs. Anyone have any insight into what might have led them to do so? It's almost as if Mesa is suggesting there are better options than pairing up 2 scouts - maybe the PH 212's? Anyway, I was hoping to get one someday so Im a little disappointed.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  2. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    sorry to hear this. In the past I have had both a Scout 12 and a Scout 15 (at different times) that I paired with my beloved Walkabout 12 combo. I only have the WA 12 combo these days because I found that the WA just seems to shine better with more drivers and different cabs with greater efficiency than what the Mesa cabs seem to have ( I use a Berg CN212 or NV610 these days and am very happy).

There are plenty of the cabs around on the used market, so you should not despair of ever owning one, just have to work the used market a bit I would think.

good luck

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The only reasons stuff gets discontinued is if something gets invented to replace it that they consider is better, or if it doesn't sell.

4. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    yes, with the Powerhouse and Traditional Powerhouse cabs, Mesa already has 15 cab types available to bass players, so I'm guessing that they were just not selling that many of the Scout extension cabs. Mesa is not a volume manufacturer, so outside of stock avail at their dealers, or the Mesa store in LA, you have to order and then wait for your cab to be built.

but again, the Scout cabs, as well as the WA cabs with the amp removed, seem to come up for sale fairly regularly in the used market, so the OP should not have any problems finding one.

5. 4andnomore

4andnomore

Nov 14, 2008
    Yeah,
    I wonder, with the V-4B and now the Bassman 500, how many Walkabout combos are Mesa selling these days, let alone extension cabs. Not that those amps are Walkabout equivalents, but they are certainly viable options at or below the same price point, depending on one's needs and preferences of course.

6. Mesa has never competed on price.

7. 4andnomore

4andnomore

Nov 14, 2008
    Agree, Mesa do what they do, and they do it really well. My Walkabout is worth every penny.

8. Well, I'm glad that I picked up a 12" extension cab very soon after buying my amp... I'm usually the guy that waits, and flies into a searching frenzy when the product gets discontinued.

I do wonder what they'll replace them with, because the scout cabs are certainly something special.

9. WoodyJ

WoodyJ Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Kansas City, KS
    I wanted more cone area than my Scout 12 combo provided but was never able to find a clean used extension cabinet. I ended up locating a pair of like new Powerhouse 1x15's for less than what a new Scout 15 extension cabinet cost and ended up with this. It rocks even with just one one of these cabs,

Yes, they are heavy but the sound they deliver is worth it.

DSCN1737_zps33352606.

Bugeyed Earl, djaxup and brocco like this.
  10. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    they are scarce in the wild for sure.
    I expect Crabby to chime in soon; he has two of them and runs it with a WA head.
    he mentions that they are woollier than his PH 1 12's but yet he prefers them.
    great cabs IMO.

11. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    My fave Mesa cabs are the Scout 12 ext (small and light enough for the single leather side handle to make ergonomic sense) and the PH 610 (which I loved to hear but would never buy or haul). If the Scout 15 had paired side handles I'd have grabbed 2.

12. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm guessing they just never sold enough of them to justify making them anymore? I certainly don't see many on the used market compared to empty combo cabs. I wonder if they might still make them custom order since they are still making the combo cabs, which are fairly similar (though the extension cabs have the larger passive radiators).

Honestly I never would have considered making a Walkabout combo + extension cab setup as the Scout cabs are pretty burly on their own, and I always assumed they'd be TOO fat/muddy in a pair- the Walkabout pairs so well with other big cabs too (through a 610 it is a lil beast!). I love my 15" combo and actually think it sounds clearer than my old 12" combo for whatever reason (certainly less congested as the speaker doesn't get pushed as hard). It gets significantly louder through the 15 as well.