1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa Boogie Strategy 400

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Coolhandjjl, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    I just picked up a Mesa Boogie Strategy 400 stereo power amp. The PDF is a bit sketchy on specifics. Anyone know if this amp cab be bridged in mono?

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I used to own one, and regret selling it. Great amp! But no, it cannot be bridged.

Tom.

3. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    No, tube amps don't bridge.

4. Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Thanks!

5. Yes they do but is is a little complicated.

6. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Depending on what cab you use, you might be able to mod the cabs input jacks to a stereo configuration, and then power each half with each channel of you poweramp. If your interested post what cab you've got and we'll figure out if its doable.

7. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Very complicated, but you know what I mean.

8. Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    I have full range cabs now, best to leave them as wired. I was considering building another one of Bill Fitzmaurice's designs, a sub + top. I have a Rane active crossover, was also considering using the Strategy 400 in a bi-amp situation.

9. If you need more: an external phase splitter/inverter is required. This can be tube based or implemented using a pair of OP-amps. Non inverted signal goes into one channel, inverted into the other. Your outputs are now out of phase with each other like any SS amp in bridge. Connecting an 8Ω load between the speaker hots with the channels both set to 4Ω will provide correct matching. The colds in most tube amps are a ground which completes the circuit.

10. Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    That sounds cool. How do I go about sourcing a phase splitter/inverter?