Mesa Boogie Subway D-800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Digits Molloy, Aug 8, 2022.

1. Digits Molloy

Digits Molloy

Aug 15, 2018
    California
    I'm thinking of selling my Ampeg SVT 7-Pro. I'd like to get an amp that's even lighter than my 7-Pro which is 15.5 lbs plus the Gator soft rack case, so it's probably a total weight of around 25 lbs. Also, I like the idea of the Mesa Boogie Subway D-800 because it goes to 2ohms and I have two awesome cabs but they are 4ohms each. Has anyone here on TB heard this Mesa amp? Does it sound warm and have a nice tone? And/or any suggestions on a great sounding super light weight amp. Thanks.

bassface69, DJ Bebop and Mastermold like this.
  2. joelns

joelns

Mar 10, 2014
    I have 2 of the amps in that lineup. They're fabulous. There's a very long thread dedicated to the Subway line. Might be worth skimming, but there are a LOT of posts. Official Mesa Boogie Subway Series Club

4SG, Mastermold, MCF and 7 others like this.
  3. Jeff Hughes

Jeff Hughes

May 3, 2020
    Love the D-800. Simple enough controls to dial in. Excellent for small and large gigs. I have run mine through 210s sealed and unsealed, 410s, 810s, 18” scoops. Never let me down for sound.

I did buy mine used from a player who leaned towards Ampeg heads though. I have never really loved Ampeg amps. So maybe it is one of those things.

4SG likes this.
  4. Digits Molloy

Digits Molloy

Aug 15, 2018
    California
    Thank you. It sounds like they are good amps. Hooray for Mesa Boogie.

joelns likes this.
  5. Digits Molloy

Digits Molloy

Aug 15, 2018
    California
    I use to love my Ampeg SVT 2-Pro. 300 Watts of that warm tube-tone. The 2-Pros have graphic EQs so you could dial in better tones than the regular Ampeg SVT. Plus the EQ could be switched on and off via a pedal. Coming in at 95 lbs., plus the rack case - can you say bye, bye to your spine? Yep - l0l. I still have it but I'm not lifting that beast around no more - way too heavy - by light years. I think I will like the tone of the Mesa because I have always liked Mesa bass amps too. Thanks again for both of your advise. I appreciate the feedback.

MCF and Al Rivera like this.
  6. J Wilson

J Wilson

Apr 22, 2022
    An Undisclosed Location
    none
    They're highly regarded, a runaway best seller, and the D800 was OG cornerstone of a line of 5 heads to go with the fabulous range of loud, lightweight cabinets. Plus, if you check the Subway Club, you find that Andy Field, the designer of the entire range, often checks in as @agedhorse and has given so many of us invaluable advice and tips on these rigs. He even fishes for opinions and all of us may have had a small hand in a few features of these amps by what he found out as consensus. Very highly recommended.

The idea of a cigar box sized 800 watt amp that will cleanly drive a pair of 4-ohm cabinets that weight FIVE POUNDS and comes with it's own padded tote bag . . . is just mind-bending for those of us old enough to have routine moved big heads and 215 or even folded 18 bins back in the day.

7. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    I prefer the WD

Mastermold, Element Zero and Danny C like this.
  8. Digits Molloy

Digits Molloy

Aug 15, 2018
    California
    And anyone can suggest about Genzler vs Mesa Boogie subway's bass amps?

MCF likes this.
  9. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I had a D800. It was a close call but I decided to keep my Aguilar AG700.

The D800+ and TT800 look very interesting.

MaxSpinrun, MCF and Element Zero like this.
  10. 75Ric

75Ric Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Connecticut
    I play through the TT and love it. Classic rock, current rock, Motown, funk, rockabilly - with two channels, it handles it all and with plenty of headroom on tap. There's no problem cutting through two guitars, acoustic drums, and keys. As a lot of players have said, the Boogie channel is addicting - in a good way. That being said, there are several Mesa heads in the Subway line all with great tones, just different flavors of awesome. Check them all out. The Subway line designer frequents TalkBass and can answer questions that come up (he's a great resource and very nice guy). Keep in mind, one head is no better than the other, but you will likely find you will favor one over the rest. Enjoy the search!

MaxSpinrun, MCF and Element Zero like this.
  11. Mesa all the way.

MCF and Element Zero like this.
  12. I've owned a D-800, D-800+ and now a WD-800. I love the WD but I would choose the D-800 over the D-800+, I just think it sounds better. It's a great amp...

MCF likes this.
  13. BOOG

BOOG

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    GM800 & WD800
    I use both and they’re different flavors of excellence. They’re both flexible enough to accommodate any acoustic environment and they’re both very musically pleasing to the ears. Beyond that, my descriptive vocabulary hasn’t had enough coffee yet this morning. The biggest problem with these amps and others is that most of us want all of them because they’re so damn good.
    By the way, what cabinets are you using?

MCF likes this.
  14. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    If you are set on the D800, I would opt for the D800+; it has an adjustable HPF.

bass nitro, ELG60, tripp2k and 5 others like this.
  15. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I own a D-800, D-800+, a WD-800 and a Magellan 800 that I have for sale.For Sale/Trade - Genzler Magellan 800 as new in the box!

They are all fantastic sounding heads. My take on them is that the Mesa heads have a tone that is distinctive where the Genzler Magellan is a very neutral sounding amp. That said, the controls on any of the Mesa and Genzler heads are quite generous so you can pretty much get what yo want out of them. Both are great amps and very reliable.

I am selling the Magellan since I have come to prefer my WD-800. That is a personal choice and in no way intended to be something negative about the Genzler.

BOOG, MaxSpinrun, MCF and 2 others like this.
  16. I really like my 800+ and run it in 2ohm to drive a 4-10 and 15 and rarely push the main volume past 1/2. I don’t know about the regular 800 but I do know i pick my 800+ over my other amps(carvin, swr and GK).

17. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Great amp.

The 800+ has a couple features I like and also will meet your load requirements. The best step up is a little larger.

18. BassTank84

BassTank84 Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Sidney, OH 45365
    I have the genzler bass array 15-3 cab, and the magellan 350. Very versatile head, cabinet is stellar!

RColie, MaxSpinrun, MCF and 2 others like this.
  19. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    When the load-in is difficult, or there’s an impromptu jam or gig, always the D800.

What I love about the D800 is that I don’t have to tweak it at all to get an amazing sound. And it punches way above its weight when powering the right cabs. It’s the definitive plug-n-play amp for me.

There are countless amps available you could tweak to your heart’s desire. For grab and go, set and forget, you can’t match the D800.

20. five7

five7 Michelle R.I.P. 8/16/22 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2009
    denver
    The D800 is a good gateway drug.

TC.65, Relsom, MCF and 5 others like this.