1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa Boogie V-Twin preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by barroso, Jul 18, 2007.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    Have you aver used a Mesa Boogie V-Twin stomp box preamp with a bass? I mean used not only as a distortion unit but also as preamp.

2. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    I've used it only for distortion... heard it used as a pre (for recording purposes). Pretty good dirty tone. I keep my eye out for a cheapish one, I wouldn't mind having it around, but they stay pretty steep for a pedal.

3. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    Used to have one, great pedal and regret selling it
    I really wish that there was a footswitch between the 2 overdrive voices.
    Try experimenting with combinations of 12au7 ,12ax7 and 12ay7 instead of the 2 stock 12ax7 tubes

Thanks

Robert

4. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I wanted to get one, but I kinda forgot about it...

5. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    why?

6. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    I've used it as a pre for studio sessions. It actually sounds great!

I wish the low eq point was set a little lower, but it still works great for bass. Clean or dirty tones!

7. RMacBass

RMacBass Bass Commander

Jun 2, 2003
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    I had one for about a year. It was too big and heavy to lug around without a dedicated gear bag or pedal board, and the AC adapter was huge too!

It had some nice tones (I much preferred it over most stomp-boxes). I think I bought it because I heard the Soundgarden bassist played through one, but I wound up just playing electric guitar through it.

The change in volume between clean and distorted was way too marked. I played guitar in The Who's Tommy and I couldn't just "set it and forget it", I had to use a volume pedal, even when just switching between clean and dirty rhythm sounds.

8. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I've had 2. Both sounded OK clean, and like lukewarm poop with distortion. Good for guitar though.

9. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    This is very true... the one I use now and then (belongs to a guitar player I work with occasionally) has been modified by Boogie with an additional volume for the second channel... a much needed modification (I think the rack version has this built in already).