Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa Boogie volume fluctuations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bram Bosman, Apr 6, 2002.

1. Bram Bosman

Bram Bosman

Apr 6, 2002
    Amsterdam
    I've played for about half a year, about 5 shows a week, with a Mesa/Boogie Basis M-2000 and a Mesa/Boogie 2x10 cabinet. I'm very pleased with its tight, heavy, warm sound.
    One thing though. Sometimes, without an obvious pattern, it increases or decreases in volume on stage (I use it as a monitor). When I adjust the volume to the dB it had, I hear the PA getting too loud or too soft. This suggests that the amp is all right, but the cabinet fluctuates in volume. The guitar player of the band plays with Mesa/Boogie too, and he has exactly the same problem.
    Has anybody had experience with this, or know what to do?

2. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Well it could be the sound guys messing around. I have the same head and have never had that problem. However, I play though a 4x10 and a 1x15.

3. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Never had that problem with my M-2000...or 400+ for that matter...

Additionally, my Mesa cabs never had any problems -- even after one flew out of the back of my pickup and tumbled about 15 ft on the ground. Only a (1) scratch! Amazing build quality.:cool:

4. Bram Bosman

Bram Bosman

Apr 6, 2002
    Amsterdam
    It couldn't be the sound guys, as the problem lies on stage, directly with my set, not in the audience. But I guess it's not a standard Mesa problem, and I'll have to have it fixed.. :(