Mesa Boogie vs Eden

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sanctum, Jan 27, 2002.

1. Hello all

This is my first post since registering, and let me say first of all, this forum kicks @ss.

I'm getting ready to buy a new amp, and after playing some Eden equipment at my local dealer I'm just about sold. But I was wondering if anyone uses any of the new Mesa Boogie gear, specifically the MPulse amps. I havent heard much talk about them, and have only heard one once.

I guess comments on the cabs would be helpful too if anyone has any insight.

Currently I'm playing through an Ampeg SVTIII with an ampeg 4x10 and 1x18 - a nice rig that my guitarist owns and is trying to sell me, but I must say the Eden just blows it away - even just using the 2x15 cab :)

2. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    The Mesa's are good but the Eden's better in both the amps and cabs. The M-Pulse series sound to cluttered or muffuled. The cabs are ok but not the best. Get the Eden.
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Mesa makes great guitar amps.
  4. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I would advise getting the Eden over the new Mesa gear. It's good stuff, but the Eden has better tone, hands down. However, if you were going for an all-tube amp, I would have said a Mesa 400+ and some of the Road Ready Mesa cabs with the EV speakers in 'em. Go for the Eden!
  5. progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    I tried out the new M-Pulse 600 before I bought the Eden 600. I really didn't like the tone of the Mesa M-Pulse. Not my style. My old band the guitarists both had Mesa 2:90 power amps and they swore by them! So I stick to an Eden...Mesa makes better guitar gear...
  6. Mesa's bass gear has generally been very "forward" thinking and progressive. I think their "simulstate" thinking is very,very cool. my Mesa M2000 has a very nifty power amp design with not only a tube (or SS for that matter) preamp but also a final driver tube to push the power section, as opposed to a SS driver. The result is a power amp that seems to really "breathe" and sounds very open. Their 400+ is un-equalled IMO, and their road ready cabs are truly the finest I've played through. That said...the new M-pulse stuff and cabs look stupid and cheap...avoid them.
  7. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I thought Mesa cabs were really good.
  8. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Truer words were never uttered! Eden makes great gear but the above is THE FACT. I own both, BTW.
  9. I wasn't impressed with the M-Pulse myself. I play Lakeland basses and they tend to need more power that other basses I've heard. I still love my Lakelands. When I tried the M-pulse 600 I had to really crank it. Some other guy tried it with another bass, I think a Warwick, and he had to turn it way down, so I think it was the pre amp differences. I have Eden and Mesa stuff. I got rid of my 410xlt, the bottom end, was to uncontrollable for me. I kept the 210xlt and my Wt-500 upgraded to 600w just for a spare. I really don't like the sound much of either Eden. Don't get me wrong that doesnt' mean it bad, just not my taste anymore. I love my Mesa 400+ and my Mesa 15 and 2x10 cabs. I use just the 15 all the time in smaller clubs. Mesa 2x10 is not really a good stand alone, that's were the Eden 2x10xlt is a better choice for just a 2x10, but with a 400+. My band has PA support so I don't really need a huge sound on stage, that is why I often use just the 15 cab. With the Electrovoice speakers that are full range I don't even need a tweeter. I think that is what everyone needs to compare when they are looking for a rig. Definately consider the FULL RANGE cabs compared to the tuned or reflective type (eden) when you compare. I find the full range to be my taste, even though they pick up every little string noise and such, but I feel them breath....I am a tube amp lover. I was really impressed with the Eden for about 2 months,then the rest is history. Good luck.
  10. stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    i can also vouch for the older diesel and roadready mesa cabinets. i used the diesel 1x15 for a while and loved it. i'm still regretting my desicion to sell it. it was relatively light, i could carry it by myself up a flight of stairs with no problem. it had lots of high end, i can't really imagine needing a tweeter with this cab. and it was built *solid*. i'm told it was modeled after the classic electro voice "tl" series of bass cabinets.

11. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've always been more of an ampeg man as far as heads go but I'm true blus mesa cabs all the way. I've got 2-4x10 road ready cabs and these things could survive a nuclear blast based on durability and still sound sweet bases on sound:p . Only downside is they way just short of a buick:eek: , but thats the struggle of a bass player tone v.s. weight.
  12. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I disagree, amigo. I use a Boogie 2x10 Road Ready with a 400+ in small rooms a lot and it sounds great. I also use an Eden D210XLT with WT400 on occasion and it's a good rig, too. My Boogie 2x10 is an older one, however, with EV's.
  13. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    i know nothing about the heads... but i recently had a chance to AB a new eden D 410 XLT and a new mesa 410. the eden blew it away in every aspect, tone, volume, looks, and it was cheaper. the mesa sounded too sterile for me.
  14. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Mmm... sterility...
  15. My Mesa 2x10 RR sounded great in conjuction with the 15"RR but on its own was very inadequate. This ironically is why I think the two cabs sounded so damn fine together...the 2x10 wasn't competeing for the same freq. space as the 15"; a perfect compliment. Most seem to love them and leave damnably heavy but what a sound.
  16. Personally, construction wise i love the Mesa cabs only cause they are built like tanks. But i a/b'ed it with an eden XLT cab and the eden just has such a more defined sound. It's tighter and clearer. The Mesa was too muddy in comparisson for me.
  17. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Hard to imagine and not been my experience at all. I've found it to be fat and full-range and perfectly matched to the 400+ for low-volume gigs in small rooms.
  18. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Some say the Mesas are sterile, while others say they are muddy!

Make up your minds!!!!
  19. Mesa road ready cabs are clear and mud free in my experiance. Eden on the other hand are thick and murky....the very opposite to the Mesa stuff. Folks seem to like that low mid goo that the Edens put out but I think low mids can "bogart yer whole band" (Watt's words..) When I scoop that stuff out in a band situation sound guys love it. A quick 100 hz cut cleans up a whole lot o' muck for me.
    Go figure!
  20. Thanks everyone for all the input. I've played Edens and i just cant understand this last comment - the last thing I would call what I've heard is thick and murky. ah well .... i shall let you all know what i purchase in the near future :)